Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

Discord Development as a Character

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I am frustrated with Discord's development, feeling he is worse of a character because of 'Keep Calm and Flutter On' and 'Three's a Crowd'. The rest of the cast aren't scare of him, seeing him as a pest that cannot be trusted but all in all also not a real threat.

Discord has become annoying comic relief, losing the charm he had in Return of Harmony. He was dangerous and legitimately threatening in his first appearance, an awesome villain. He was manipulative, cruel, selfish, and using Equestria as his playground becauase it amuses him.

Now, he is nothing more then an annoyance to the Mane Six, somehow going from trying to take over Equestria to ruining Twilight's day. What happened to the being that alway had a plan and scared even Princess Celestia herself... now he is nothing more then a jerk that gets his kicks from ruining someone's day.

Discord used to be one of my favorite characters...but now I'd rather pretend he didn't exist, ignore him completely.

#2 LostSanity

LostSanity

Oatmeal, are you LostSanity?!

• Roleplayer
  • 386 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

To be honest... I hate Discord.

That's really all I have to say.

Sorry...

:shy:

#3 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

To be honest... I hate Discord.

That's really all I have to say.

Sorry...

:shy:

No need to apologize, I can't say I hate Discord but he has been a source of frustration for me when it comes to the show.

Worse, I am the minority as most fans seem to enjoy what Discord has become, feeling his character development has been good and moving in the right direction.

#4 Parodius

Parodius

Foal

• Roleplayer
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'm of a mindset that Discord is being a bit of a stealth teacher.  Each time since his reformation, he's taught something, albeit in a roundabout way.

If his efforts in teaching were discovered, he would be treated differently as a result.

A bit of mindless speculation on my part here...  Perhaps the whole reason that Celestia wanted Discord reformed is to help teach Twilight some things?  After all, if Starswirl's unfinished spellbook showed up in the season 3 premiere, she probably had a plan in place for Twilight's ascension.  If the attempt to reform Discord failed, she probably would have had a backup plan that didn't involve him.  A sort of 'high risk/high reward' type of plan.  Just a thought.

#5 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Though I would argue that most often this will just be an excuse to buck with others. In 'Three is a Crowd' Discord may have said he was trying to prove Twilight's friendship when really all it proved was that Twilight was willing to go to the ends of the earth just to get rid of him.

That and his suprise at learning that Cadance actually enjoyed her day, and his annoyance that Twilight' day wasn't ruin... proves thst he was just being a jerk trying to buck with Twilight.

Heck if that episode proved anything it is that no one is Discord's friend but Fluttershy, no one trusts him (for good reason) and he is now little more then a mere unlikeable douche with reality warping powers.

#6 Neon Streaks

Neon Streaks

Foal

• 12 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

he was an evil troll. then he was redeemed to just a troll.

#7 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

He was better then a mere troll, so much better, but yes it does seem that is what Discord is becoming is nothing more then a petty and annoying troll that can't think big.

At least I can point to Discord whenever someone tries to say Celestia is a troll.

#8 augercorn

augercorn

Equestrian

• 412 posts
  • Locationgood question

Donator

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

I acually like his development.

in his first episode he almost won! but then the mane six (with the help of spike and celestia) learned how to beat him.

since they already proved stronger than him and know how to beat him he is no longer a threat but still very dangerous and bad news.

then in keep calm and flutter he developed as a charecter and was shown as some one who acualy enjoys having people who care about him instead of just the ultimate troll

in 3 it shows that he's still a troll and but still really cares about his friends even if he has a strange way of showing it.

thing is he's not dangerus anymore because he doesnt want to hurt anyone. does this change him a lot form his first apreance ... yes but it also shows change and growth as a charecter

#9 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Perhaps so, though sometimes a great villain should not be so easily changed/reformed. My biggest complaint being that a reform of a character like Discord should not take place in a single episode but instead many episodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users