Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

Boost Busters - Trixie

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

As I say to all who try to defend Trixie, a good stage entertainer/magician backs up their words in their act. If a magician says they can saw a person in half they darn well better have the effect to back it up. As it is said, "show don't tell". She was telling ponies how great she was and didn't even begin backing up her words until ponies called her out. All she offered were words, fireworks, and magic doddles. Even whn she said "anything you can do I cam do better" she never actually proved she wa better.

Even if only an effect, smoke and mirrors, a good stage magician is obligated to show what thet say they can do.

By an amusing twist, Twilight proved in Magic Duel she can put on a better show and act then Trixie. So unless Trixie starts 'showing' she is good at what she does and not 'show but tell' I wont consider her act good.

Nor will I allow she was in the right or doing her performance correctly.
----------

Keep in mind I actually like Trixie, what annoys me is when fans try to justify her actions in Boost Busters and try putting her in the right.

#2 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

I mean, look at this...

Spoiler

She's just a confused mare...  D:

#3 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

Yes the interpretation of Trixie's character that she has an Inferiority Superiority Complex. Hiding feelings of inadequacy behind a mask of arrogance and pride. Using her lies to make herself feel important and convince others she is worth their time.

#4 LostSanity

LostSanity

Oatmeal, are you LostSanity?!

• Roleplayer
  • 386 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Trixie is another one of my "hate" characters

She's annoying, brash, and a flat out idiot.

So... yeah...

Sorry...

:(

#5 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

I've been saying since the first Trixie episode that she is a terrible magician.

A magician is capable of feats that no one else in the room can comprehend.  This creates psychological distance, and feelings of inadequacy...unless the magician handles neutralizes these feelings.

Common ways to connect to the audience are to crack jokes, laugh at themselves, explain simple tricks, etc.

Anything that makes them feel like your friend, rather than they guy who knows how to do all the awesome stuff you don't know how to do.  If you start to like a magician because he feels like a peer, then when he does something awesome, it isn't off-putting.

Trixie was a jerk from the first moment.  Then she started doing mean tricks.  Thus, a poor magician that no one would want to go see.  Watching her would make you feel bad, even if she wasn't being mean.

Not to mention the fact that she never did a trick!  She just used her magic skillfully.  There was no sense of wonder.   

a good stage entertainer/magician backs up their words in their act. If a magician says they can saw a person in half they darn well better have the effect to back it up.

I agree with you in general, but these two sentences seem a little off, from a magic theory standpoint.  Good stage magicians promise very little with their words.  They might imply that they are going to pluck your card out of a deck, but then they amaze everyone by pulling it out of a gift wrapped box from a seat in the audience.  We've all been to magicians, so we think we know where they are going, but then they over-deliver on the trick to blow our minds.  

I've never seen a magician say "I am going to saw this woman in half".  Instead they start the trick, and let us figure out what they are doing.  Then, when they put an audacious twist on the trick, they haven't gone back on their word.  

On the other hand, a grand boast is generally misdirection as well.  They claim to be able to do spectacular feats, and then "fail" horribly at them.  This makes them feel more human, and is often a great way to set up a trick even more impressive than the one they announced they were going to do. 

#6 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Still, claiming to have defeated an ursa major and not backing it up doesn't help her image of being a talenred magician, or the staement "anything you can do I can do better".

#7 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Still, claiming to have defeated an ursa major and not backing it up doesn't help her image of being a talenred magician, or the staement "anything you can do I can do better".

That's kind of a hard thing to just prove on the spot. She'd either have to have someone around that can vouch for her, or, well it's not like an ursa major is just roaming about close by all the time to show, and that would be a very out of character thing for the main characters to ask.

Trixie was mean there, but the main characters, right off the bat, start talking crap about her. Trixie was just putting on a show. It looked like the very beginning of it and she was just building up hype at first. (At this point, no one knows if she's a bad magician or not.) The main cast is rude first here, not that this justifies Trixie retorting in the same way, but just a thing that's there. I can imagine a lot of people would get defensive if someone immediately starts downplaying their performance.

#8 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users