Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
Locations

The Badlands

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Mandatory location lore.

#2 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, United States

Donator

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no concrete depiction of the Badlands region from the show. Once or twice I've notice people fanoning the Badlands as the destination for the dragon migration, and have listed what I could under additional considerations.

As always, hope this helps future ideas! :D

EDIT (3/13/2014, 12:00 pm): Added 'additional information'.

As the Map Shows...

Population: Very few, if any. At best, without considering changeling or dragon fanon, perhaps a small merchant camp set up as a trading post.

Geography: A large, sunken blotch of land with terribly eroded mountains and rocky formations. A whole lot of nothing, really. Massive red-stone mountains, including the Macintosh mountain range surround it's entirety, except for the entrances where the dirt road travels through. The reddish appearance is likely scoria (red volcanic rock) or clay. Like the desert, large hoodoos are present.

Economy: Mining or quarrying, perhaps. I doubt ponies would care to extract most of the
materials present, but clay, quartz, calcite and possibly hematite might be found here. Ponykind never struck me as the best miners out there, or very caring towards such unforgiving environments. And with Equestria already filled with gems elsewhere, why bother?

Flora: Algae, lichen, dried up shrubs if you're lucky. The whole area strikes me as nothing more than red clay, sand and stone.

Fauna: The lack of plantlife to sustain herbivores here would drive most animal populations away. Maybe a few minor predator species, or insects. Nothing significant in the slightest, though.

Additional Considerations...

The Changeling Hives: "Badlands – When Queen Chrysalis is defeated by Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, she and a few of her changelings go flying in the direction of the Badlands as she vanishes from view (although the comics depict her landing beyond them)." - Excerpt from My Little Pony Wiki

I'm an avid reading of pony fan fiction and one of the most commonly agreed ideas that I come across is that the changeling hives reside in or around the Badlands region. Whether it's Chrysalis' hive or others, they're often shown living underground. Given the inhospitable climate of the Badlands, I could see why. I'm under the impression that Badlands aren't easy to traverse, so the location might make sense if primary hives wished to remain hidden from other species. Given it's relatively close proximity to the rest of Equestria, 'food sources' might not be too far fetched... though they will still be far.

I've personally preferred the idea that changelings live all throughout Equestria, and are merely disguised, but that the dryer desert regions, Badlands and possibly Hayseed Swamp hold the major hive nodes.

Equestrian Territory: I can't help but speculate if the southern regions, particularly the desert, the Hayseed swamps and the Badlands, aren't neutral and unclaimed territories which Equestria is slowly expanding into. A lack of resources might offer an explanation for so few settlements down south, sure, but between the Hayseed forest and the greener western peninsula, why not occupy those regions first? Appaloosa is still very new as a town, even today, so ponies may only just be venturing south in recent decades (to establish new towns and villages, that is).

Actually, expansionism is one thing which genuinely concerned me regarding the Crystal Empire's lands (and government), but that's another topic for another time.

The Episode Dragon Quest: I've heard of a few people taking this episode as a peak at the Badlands region, where the dragons have migrated to. Here are some thoughts...

Why it's credible:

The dragons migrate to a collection of mountains and volcanoes with a nearby forest. The Badlands region is completely surrounded by mountains and I wouldn't deny the possibility of volcanic activity in the area. In addition, the Hayseed Swamp (and subsequently the forest) is just on the other side of the mountain, providing the shot for trees and scenes with the phoenix and eggs. There is also a number of snow-capped mountains there, and a multitude of different terrains for Spike to have cross on his trip there, during the traveling scenes.

If it is taken in for canon, please remember the presence of mountain rams living in the snowy area along the mountain slope.

Why it isn't credible:

The direction for the Badlands and where the dragons seem to be migrating don't make sense to me on the map. In fact, they're almost in completely opposite directions of where dragons should be coming from. To the bottom right of the map it says 'here be dragons', indicating they likely nest to the far south east, maybe even across the sea. Assuming all dragons live relatively close together, why would Ponyville witness a massive stream of them flying from the north, towards the Badlands when the map says they live southeast?

With that, it is far more likely that, while they may have cross the Badlands along their way prior to Ponyville, they likely went through the area over Whitetail Woods to get to the Smokey Mountains instead. The land structure fits Whitetail Woods better (meadows, apple trees, a lack of desert to cross, domed mountains instead of ones with jagged peaks, closer north for a cooler climate and more snow), and the appearance of mountain rams seems odd for the southern areas, even if some mountains are snow-capped.

The name of the Smokey Mountains may suggest volcanic activity as well. The dragon from Dragonshy may have nested in these mountains too.

Additional Considerations:

Minerals: Traces of nickel may be found in areas of volcanic activity, if I'm correct.

#3 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Would you like to write this lore?

#4 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, United States

Donator

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Unless someone else would prefer to, I'd be glad to. :)

The changelings may be something to keep in mind, though. I'm not sure if anyone's written lore about them, I've just been assuming along with common fanon that the major hives are hidden in the Badlands.

#5 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Changeling Lore should happen. I'll add that to my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users