Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
Unicorn

Copper Valve [FINAL]

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, United States

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Roleplay Area: Free For All

Name: Copper Valve

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Amber

Skin Color(s): Pale Cream

Mane/Tail Color(s) & Style: A sandy reddish-brown (copper) colored mane and tail, with cornflower-blue accents. Mane is cut short in the front, whereas the back is left to grow and be tied off to the side with a puffy blue ribbon. Lastly is a long, slender tail that sports a thick blue streak down its length, with a small blue bow tying off the tip.

Physique: Thinner than average, should be apparent she doesn't get out as much as the average pony. She is average height for a pony her age.

Cutie Mark: Copper-Toned Pressure Gauge

Residence: Dodge Junction

Personality Valve is somewhat guarded towards newcomers, considering herself an introvert and awkward in meeting new faces. Towards familiars however, she can range from friendly and comforting to argumentative and confrontational, feeling she has more sway with friends and can get away with more from them. This isn't to say she would take advantage of them (not usually at least), on the contrary, she can be quite accommodating when problems arise for those in her inner circle. But one requires regular face time to achieve that position with her.

She rarely cracks jokes - at least not good ones, but it shouldn't be said she is always serious either. She is receptive to most forms of humor, but lacks much in the way of perceptual jests. When she cares enough to do so however, Valve does not hesitate to make her opinion known, especially when something conflicts with her beliefs. As a result, it can be difficult for her to accept criticism at times.

Valve dislikes the idea of fighting, believing it better to reason with facts, and has shown little interest in combative arts. This is partly a cover for another reason for her avoiding fights, in that she can become quite cowardly and even panic prone when posed with a real threat.

History: Valve was born and raised in the small town of Dodge Junction, set in the desert regions of southern Equestria. Her parents, both earth pony settlers from outside of town, were surprised to find their daughter had been born a unicorn to a family with an extensive earth pony bloodline, a result of sparsely mixed genes from the family's past.

Her family's heritage had been one of mechanical ingenuity, a long line of smiths and engineers. It had come as no great surprise when she received her Cutie Mark, a copper colored steam gauge, representing her slowly growing fluency with machinery. The manner in which she had first noticed the mark had been via a mistake on her part, causing a covered workbench to spill over while fiddling with a maze of brass piping. A clumsy victory, but apart from a few lucky bruises and a firm scolding from her parents for playing with her father's work equipment unsupervised, she couldn't have been happier.

Copper's knowledge of machines grew slowly but surely as her studies progressed, particularly the recently risen concepts of steam engines. She aspired in classes such as math and basic sciences as a proximation of her studies, but found hours of free time poured into imported books and even technical manuels had left
little time to meet new faces. She became familiar enough with the slowly growing town, especially the station workers for the established railroad, but still kept an awkward disposition towards new acquaintances. It then came to her discomfort that her classmates often came to her for assistance with their math assignments.

Currently she still resides with her family in Dodge Junction, barely old enough to be considered a young adolescent. The trying age has done little to aid the development of her social skills, unfortunately.

Additional History and Information for Equestria Divided: Choosing to leave their home for north-eastern settlements, Valve's family stayed clear of the House Earthborn territories as a result of growing discrimination against unicorns. Being of a predominantly earth pony bloodline, bearing a unicorn filly would not have been smiled upon in the pseudo-democratic state. They now live in the city of Manehatten, in House Whitegold controlled land, living separately from her parents, yet still in the same civic space.

Her family was luckily able to escape most of the tragedies surrounding Equestria's dispersion into the different houses, finding work in the providence of House Whitegold, believing it a far more agreeable atmosphere for their crafts. Now an adult herself, Valve finds work servicing the complex airships, of which the house's production and economy has seen a steady rise in numbers. Being one of the few truly mechanically adept ponies of the free merchant state, she is contracted by a fair number of airship crews. This list ranges from joy fliers, to freelancers, to paramilitary groups. The faction's lack of interest in railway transportation has her working almost exclusively on airships.

She has come to appreciate House Whitegold for its economic freedoms and lack of harsh segregational views, while still retaining a level of sophistication and modern technologies. Her distrust for the other houses only grows over time after hearing of their faction's habits. House Everfree she takes as a group of uncivilized savages, whereas House Stormwing she finds oppressive with its totalitarian military views. Valve is openly repulsed by House Moon and Star's practices of slavery, and finds their continued beliefs in the late alicorn sisters a notion of ridicule. For House Earthborn, however, she bears a strong resentment, seeing them as speciesists and a genocidal blight against unicorns. She may not care for the aristocratic indecisiveness of the wealthier ponies of her new home, but views it the only viable option for restoring Equestria to a relatively peaceful and fair land.

Unfortunately these views are a product of Valve's own naivety. While she has no direct connection with any of the wealthier or politically oriented figures of Whitegold, her knowledge of machines is valued by numerous parties. As such, she is seldom subjected to criminal activity against her or her family, leaving her largely ignorant of her own state's extensive web of lies and misconduct. She is merely kept sheltered because she is seen as a useful resource.

#2 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

I made a mistake on the title, which is supposed to say 'Copper Valve' instead of 'Copper Gauge'. My bad, sorry about that little bit. :(

#3 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Why weaker magic? Simply because her parents are earth ponies? Remember Pumpkin Cake and her potential for magic though her parents are earth ponies. Simply I feel you don't need to weaken the magic most commonly shown by unicorns. Most unicorns, unless there talent is magic in some way, always have levitation and a few spells related to their talent. Apart from those few spells most unicorns don't grew in their use of magic.

... yet before you get the wrong idea if you want that I wont deny it. I simply feel it is an unnecessary limitation and I advise all unicorns be allowed the basics (particularly if you wish to bring Copper into a roleplay as dangerous as Equestria Divided).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from that I see no problems, I would even say you could post this character in the Lands of Equestria section (removing the Equestria Divided part) and I would be able to offer first approval.

#4 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Why weaker magic? Simply because her parents are earth ponies? Remember Pumpkin Cake and her potential for magic though her parents are earth ponies. Simply I feel you don't need to weaken the magic most commonly shown by unicorns. Most unicorns, unless there talent is magic in some way, always have levitation and a few spells related to their talent. Apart from those few spells most unicorns don't grew in their use of magic.

... yet before you get the wrong idea if you want that I wont deny it. I simply feel it is an unnecessary limitation and I advise all unicorns be allowed the basics (particularly if you wish to bring Copper into a roleplay as dangerous as Equestria Divided).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from that I see no problems, I would even say you could post this character in the Lands of Equestria section (removing the Equestria Divided part) and I would be able to offer first approval.

I could cut it for the sake of simplicity. I actually didn't intend for it to have anything to do with her being from a mostly earth pony line. :P

That is a good point about the ED setting, however. I might have taken a slight U-turn with that oversight from giving her additional technological prowess, hm? It might just be another novelty trait, but for opposite reasons, now that you mention it.

As for the LoE setting, can the character be present in both? Excluding the additional info for ED, my intent actually was to have a believable character for the canon land, in case I ever had need of her for RP there.

EDIT: Scrapped the weak magic portion.

#5 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

If you wish, though I may suggest she has skill not only in fixing the airships, and with such perhaps make a few tweaks and improvements... but how to drive one? Her focus seems to be airships so perhaps as the roleplay goes on she could improve on the designs of airships already made and even add such things as improved or new weapons.

Though if you have other though I am open to them. Also considers spells that could involve/help her talent mechanically/technologically.

That is what I am saying, create a new Character Application in the LoE area, copying whole cloth, and just take out the Equestria Divided bit. No changes needed.

#6 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, the thought of her piloting airships as well had crossed my mind. I was a little concerned with initial extra skillset, though it wouldn't be that far-fetched. It may call for her having an airship of her own (at some point in time), lest she rent one somehow or has past experience flying a few of the ones she repairs. But if it wouldn't be "game-breaking", why not?

As I mentioned before, I'm not sure how heavy other players may want to delve into travel times, so... :P

As for tech/magitech upgrades done to the airship in question, I don't see why not. I'd actually expect nearly every airship in House Whitegold for the ED setting is custom-made to an extent. I doubt they have nearly as many factories as neighboring tech-heavy factions. One thing I'd assume about them is that the materials (particularly the wooden hull of the ship) are probably given some kind of enchantment to make them lighter weight.

Otherwise, I somehow just see something like that not being able to get very far off the ground in the first place...

Besides that, possibly an enchantments for altering the air density for quicker rise/fall, extra propellers for propulsion/maneuverability, different interior facilities... I can think of plenty modifications of some form, if she fly her own, but should any of that be included here, or should it be announced during roleplay as things progress? I'd expect her ship would start out as a used or refurbished craft. The size of the vessel might also be taken into consideration (about the same as in the faction units image?).

In hindsight, maybe I should have labelled this a work in progress instead of a final, no? :squee:

#7 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

I'm sending a PM for part of that.

On whether you need to add anything more, no I believe it is fine as is. We can always discuss ideas for upgrades and changes to an airship. Though as warning, when first trying out a change or alteration there will be a chance of it not working or requiring a few repairs on failure. There is also the question of parts and materials.

#8 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

How is this going?  :)

#9 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

How is this going?  :)

As far as I'm aware, Copper here is finished. I might've opted to swap her to LoE for the roleplay realm, but keep the ED info extension, if possible.

But there really weren't anymore additions for me to make, unless you or Scholar can think of any? I'll give it another look-over when I get home from work tonight.

#10 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

As far as I'm aware, Copper here is finished. I might've opted to swap her to LoE for the roleplay realm, but keep the ED info extension, if possible.

But there really weren't anymore additions for me to make, unless you or Scholar can think of any? I'll give it another look-over when I get home from work tonight.

Cool! So should I review this app?

#11 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

Cool! So should I review this app?

Well, I looked it over again and it still looks finished. So, by all means, do! :D

#12 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1979 posts
  • LocationCanterlot Castle, ruling my little ponies...

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

Looks good to me, and seeing as how it is a FFA app, I shall move it to approved. Interesting character, good job!

StampApproved.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users