Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

The Things You Find in the Everfree Forest (Open To All)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 TankiSha

TankiSha

Official Dragon Enthusiast

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts
  • LocationThe Skies High Above

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

~It was a beautiful early Summers day above the Everfree forest, the late Afternoon sun blazing in the blue Sky which was broken only by a few white, fluffy clouds. The Canopy was a emerald green, leaves dancing in the warm breeze. A dark speck approaches from the North, gliding on the air to conserve energy. It quickly grows in size, and any that might have been up in the Canopy would see the elegant form of a tremendous Dragon, the bright orange markings glistening in the sunlight against a deep scarlet hide, reminiscent of Oriental designs. A closer look would show signs of exhaustion and determination, those of a Mother protecting her children... and indeed, carefully held in her Talons was a clutch of eggs, each a separate and shimmering color.

This in itself would attract the attention of any in the Canopy, had they been there, but all was still. That is, of course, until the tired Dragon gets just a little too low, and the tip of a branch just brushes her Talons... and an Egg is dropped by mistake. In her current state, having been flying for days, the huge Dragon fails to notice, and flies on. 

The egg drops down just a little, onto a Tree Branch, where it lays still for a moment, but then, seemingly all at once, the warm breeze nudges it loose and it begins its perilous descent through the Trees. Rolling from Branch to Branch, its fall miraculously broken by strong leaves and twigs time after time, it finally ends up stuck between a Branch and the Trunk of a Tree, until a passing Squirrel landing on the Branch shakes it loose. It rolls down the Trunk and over the exposed Roots, before continuing across the Forest floor for a few yards before coming to a stop, nestling in between the Roots of another Tree.

A few wondrously warm Summer days and soothing cool nights pass, the Egg laying where it had come to rest, undisturbed. The Shell is rather cool, not quite cold, but not yet filled with enough warmth for the Egg to begin to hatch. 

You, who have been fleeing from a Mysterious Creature of the Forest, have escaped the Being for the moment and stumble upon the Egg completely by Accident. Having been running, you are rather warm. What do you do?~ 

#2 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

((This is wonderfully done, yet I see no response. Are you waiting for a player in particular or are you open to all? Is there a storyline planned? Will this be adventurous or fluffy slice-of-life? I am currently making a character here http://whitetail-woo...ttled-brew-wip/

I'm also gathering players for a Dragon / Changeling themed DnD game, so we might even mix them up? Though I would prefer people who live according to a time close to GMT.

http://whitetail-woo...quest-open-dnd/

If this last part is off-topic, I'll edit it.))

#3 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

((This is wonderfully done, yet I see no response. Are you waiting for a player in particular or are you open to all? Is there a storyline planned? Will this be adventurous or fluffy slice-of-life? I am currently making a character here http://whitetail-woo...ttled-brew-wip/

I'm also gathering players for a Dragon / Changeling themed DnD game, so we might even mix them up? Though I would prefer people who live according to a time close to GMT.

http://whitetail-woo...quest-open-dnd/

If this last part is off-topic, I'll edit it.))

((OOC: This is Open to All Role Players. And I plan on this being a rather adventurous one.))

#4 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Gasping for breath, I  fall to the ground. I  have no idea what monstrosity had been stalking me but whatever it was, it was big but not relentless. For now, I was safe.
Getting a bottle from my pouch, I drink eagerly. Suddenly I remark a strange rock, no an egg, on the forest floor. Picking it up, I remark that it appears undamaged, yet there is no mother nearby. "Well, little one. Are you in need of a mommy?" I tug the egg in backpack, glad that there is enough space. "I may not be much of a mother, but I think I can take care of you. Unless you are a dud egg, in which case you're going into my cooking pot."

((Was this what you had in mind? Also, did you read my character's bio?)) 

#5 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

~As the Egg would feel a slight warm touch, a slight shifting sound would come from the inside. Perhaps the Creature inside is waking from the movement? Or perhaps from the warmth that it is now experiencing? The Egg is surprisingly light, from the look of it one might have thought that it would have been extremely heavy. The smooth surface would be free of cracks....for now.~

((OOC: I have not had the chance yet, I have been a bit busy.))

#6 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

This egg is definitely alive. "I guess I'll be keeping you then, little one." I marvel at the unusual egg. It's size, colouring, weight, everything about it is peculiar. Whatever this egg holds, it will be big. Perhaps a hydra, a cockatrice, or even a dragon. "Only one way to find out. I'll keep you warm and see that you won't fall." While I would wish to keep talking to the egg in case the owner can hear me, I choose prudence over curiosity and decide to make my way to a safe spot.

According to my map I am completely lost, and my compass has gone haywire in this forest. Quaffing an extract to regain my strength, I set out to gain my bearings and find my way to the Castle of the Pony Sisters. I want to see it before it's completely renovated.

Later that night.

Finally I reached my destination. After setting up camp, I place the egg in my lap. I heard that some species actually place their eggs in fire, and this one looks as if it might like that, I don't dare to try that. What if this one is not such an egg and would boil? 

We'll just have to wait, I guess. After eating some rations, I talk to the egg while replenishing my collection of potions. Each one holds a part of my magic potential, so they are limited in number and only last a day. Thus, whenever I have the time I either mix up new ones or recharge the ones I want to keep.

This method does not allow one to build up a large collection, for there is a limit to how much potions my aura can sustain, but it's cheap and swift.

After I'm finished, I curl up under my blanket; "Good night, little one. Sweet dreams."

#7 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

~As he would speak to the Egg, little scritches would seem to be heard from inside. It seemed as if something was moving around inside of the delicate shell. Perhaps the Creature inside was waking up and exploring the tiny world?

Later that Night

The Egg would have grown silent by now, though as it was moved onto his lap, the warmth would seem to encourage sound from it once more. It would procure a tiny tapping and pecking sound from inside. The sounds of the voice outside the little shell would rouse the tiny Creature inside and what would sound like a tiny, barely audible chirp would be heard from within.~

#8 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

For some reason I woke up, still curled around the egg--my egg. Had I heard something? I thought I had holed up in a pretty safe place--the remnants of a sturdy tower without a roof--yet I was awoken from something. Was it the egg, perhaps just about to hatch? Or was it missing its real mother instead, or felt frightened?

Keeping my satchel close to me in case something wicked this way came, I pressed a kiss on the hard shell. Despite feeling a bit foolish for hugging an egg and not the baby inside it, I still hoped that the affection would reach the youngling inside.

"Don't worry, little one. I'm here for you, and perhaps one day we'll find your mother."

Hoping to sooth the little one, I tried to sing it a hymn I once heard.

Hard blows the wind now, sleep in the campsite.

Sleep in the campsite, fire flickers lower.

Find more wood my friend to make it burn more brightly.

Flame knows when another fire will warm us.

((This is sooo adorable, you know that? I read this story for my little brother and he was enraptured. 

Since Kishi Kaisei is holding a D20, I assume you know DnD? The little known Alchemist class was the inspiration for my character.))

#9 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

~The affection would most certainly be felt, the tiny Creature inside feeling the new extra warmth and would respond in kind by nuzzling up against the side of the Egg that was receiving the most heat. This action would easily be felt and heard as his tiny wings would rub and scratch against the Eggs shell. The singing would sooth the little Dragon and the Egg would vibrate slightly in certain places from the humming that would occur as the little Creature would try to add his song along to his.~

((OOC: I do know and play a bit of DnD and I am elated that you like this so much! :D ))

#10 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Was the little one responding? I continued to sing softly in order to find out.

Wind that blew strong now fades to a whisper

Hear shepherd bells ring clear in the darkness

Hear them hear them singing softly

Ding dong ding dong

Hear our voices echo softly

Ding dong ding dong

I'm quite certain that I am hearing the not quite a hatchling respond.

#11 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

~The barely audible humming would continue, the little Dragons vocal cords still developing in their own ways, the Ornate Shell of the Egg still vibrating in some places.~

#12 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Elated, I sing a new song. 

We walk for truth

Speak out for love

In Harmony's Light

We shall be strong

Hopes are rising

New day dawning

Sound of singing

Fills the air

#13 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

~The humming would seem to change with the song, new places of the Shell beginning to vibrate.~

#14 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Emboldened, I sing the next phrase.

Let the flame burn brighter

In the heart of the darkness

Turning night

To glorious day

Let the flame grow stronger

As our song grows louder

Let it shine shine shine shine shine shine shine

Let it shine shine shine shine shine shine shine

#15 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

~The Egg would continue to vibrate in certain places as the little Dragons humming would continue. As the warmth would seep more into the inside of the Shell, the little Creature would want to explore a bit, moving around and build up the muscles that it would need once it Hatched.~

#16 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

Finishing the song, I repeat the last phrase.

We walk for truth

Speak out for love

In Harmony's Light

We shall be strong

Hopes are rising

New day dawning

Sound of singing

Fills the air

"You really like this, don't you little one?" Listening to the scratching inside, I decide to sing a last one before bed. "You know, I was planning on traveling to Appleloosa or the Crystal Empire next. Both are very warm and you might like it there. The Crystal Empire might sound cold, but it is a volcanic area so we could even bathe you in warmth straight from the earth. How would you like that? Me, I want to see the famous Shimmerstorms. Supposedly they are quite a sight. "

#17 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

~As the song would stop, so would the humming and vibrating, though the soft Scritching sounds would continue, as if in reply to each thing said. Though it would be near impossible to try and translate mere Scratching sounds. Though, if he listened close enough, there would be slight Pecking noises every now and then.~

#18 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

Pecking sounds? "Are you...hatching?!" Wow, this is great. "Either you have crappy taste or I'm a better singer then I thought." I grin at the prospect of attending the birth of a new life. "That, or you are eager to shut me up," I joke.

"Well, since you seem to respond to music, and I can't find any fault in your taste, let's try keeping this up."

From the day we arrive on the world
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

#19 TankiSha

TankiSha

• Roleplayer
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

~The tiny little pecking noises would continue, the humming and vibrating now starting up again as he tried to match the song being sung by him. It seemed that, like many Egglings of the Draconic Species, that he responded more to Music and Warmth.~

#20 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7283 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

By now, I put two and two together, and figured out that the egg belonged to a dragoness of some kind. Sincerely wishing that she would not harm me if we ever met, I was still willing to raise the egg.

Knowing its species also allowed me to prepare food in case the little one mentioned to break through the shell. Growing crystals is basic chemistry, and Earth ponies' are famous for our rock farming. Sitting up with the egg in my lap, I prepared a few vial and held them in my hoof, slowly letting the minerals settle in crystalline form by grace of innate Earth magic.

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users