Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

How Can We Improve Your Whitetail Experience?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hi there!

We staff members are actively working on making Whitetail a fun and exciting place to be. Here is thread to make suggestions on how to improve Whitetail. What would you like to see? What would make this place better?

Please remember that this is not a thread to point fingers or spread negativity. Please feel free to be honest, but don't be rude to others.

We appreciate your feedback!  :D

#2 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, United States

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

What sort of improvements are you looking for, persay? Particular threads, new sections, technical additions for the site, etc...

Hmm... Well either way, this is vague, I know, but subjects of common interest for the community would help people speak their minds more. I think another member posted something like this on another thread, albiet with a different presentation. What people seek is dependant, of course, but if someone can come up with ideas to draw the majority of the community's attentions, I'd expect it would benefit member interactions. As I'm sure you already know, though, everyone is interested in different things. Eventually it may be possible to get enough material to cater to most anyone, but the site might experience member inflation with that, which was partially discussed in SunBurn's 'A Thought to Leave You With' thread under Questions, Suggestions and Feedback (I hope he doesn't mind me citing his post here).

Apologies if I'm rambling. Anyway, my point was people have different interests. I personally have yet to get bored on here simply because there's so much for me to do, despite me having a lack of in-character time for roleplay. I love having tasks that require me to think and construct theories, generally having unsaid 'quotas' to fill. :P

It would without a doubt be time consuming, and possibly a tad devious, but have you considered some sort of study for/on your members? This post kind of acts like an interpretive questionnaire already, though. But since I already have most of what I need to hold my attention, I'm not certain on what I could recommend for specifics. I'll let you know if I think of anything, though (extra debate topics, maybe?). :shy:

I have been concerned I may be taking lead on too many of the lore topics in a rush, however. It concerns me other members might not give their input for them, and would be restricted to almost entirely what my view would be. I wouldn't want to take too much of that creative opportunity away from the community, as I'm sure people would have plenty of great ideas if they had time. I love lore creation, but I wouldn't want so much of the site's established canon to be my vision only, that wouldn't be quite fair to the rest.

Oh, and on a side note - at the time of this post you have exactly 999 posts made for your profile. Props. :)

#3 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

What sort of improvements are you looking for, persay? Particular threads, new sections, technical additions for the site, etc...

Hmm... Well either way, this is vague, I know, but subjects of common interest for the community would help people speak their minds more. I think another member posted something like this on another thread, albiet with a different presentation. What people seek is dependant, of course, but if someone can come up with ideas to draw the majority of the community's attentions, I'd expect it would benefit member interactions. As I'm sure you already know, though, everyone is interested in different things. Eventually it may be possible to get enough material to cater to most anyone, but the site might experience member inflation with that, which was partially discussed in SunBurn's 'A Thought to Leave You With' thread under Questions, Suggestions and Feedback (I hope he doesn't mind me citing his post here).

Apologies if I'm rambling. Anyway, my point was people have different interests. I personally have yet to get bored on here simply because there's so much for me to do, despite me having a lack of in-character time for roleplay. I love having tasks that require me to think and construct theories, generally having unsaid 'quotas' to fill. :P

It would without a doubt be time consuming, and possibly a tad devious, but have you considered some sort of study for/on your members? This post kind of acts like an interpretive questionnaire already, though. But since I already have most of what I need to hold my attention, I'm not certain on what I could recommend for specifics. I'll let you know if I think of anything, though (extra debate topics, maybe?). :shy:

I have been concerned I may be taking lead on too many of the lore topics in a rush, however. It concerns me other members might not give their input for them, and would be restricted to almost entirely what my view would be. I wouldn't want to take too much of that creative opportunity away from the community, as I'm sure people would have plenty of great ideas if they had time. I love lore creation, but I wouldn't want so much of the site's established canon to be my vision only, that wouldn't be quite fair to the rest.

Oh, and on a side note - at the time of this post you have exactly 999 posts made for your profile. Props. :)

Thank you for your feedback  :D

I've observed a lot of user behavior in general, and I'm hoping this thread will help people voice their specific desires. So here's hoping!

I wish the lore section was more active, with more users voicing their ideas and opinions, but there's no way to dictate that. At the current moment, there's a lot of lore to write and I have no fear about users taking up too much voice to themselves. The lore is endless, so voices over time will come and go on their own. All help, at this time, is appreciated greatly  ^3^

Also, thanks for the props! Here's 1000  :scheming:

#4 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7338 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

This site is set up VERY well already, so if I had to name one thing I would wish then it would be the ability to "quote" only one small part of someone's post. As in, quoting a highlighted part only.

Asides from that, you have my compliments and sincere thanks for this site. 

One other thing, yesterday when a few friends of mine started chatting on their profile I got a notification every time they said something "User has updated their status", "Other user responded to this." 

Eventually my notifications started to lag, even.

#5 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

This site is set up VERY well already, so if I had to name one thing I would wish then it would be the ability to "quote" only one small part of someone's post. As in, quoting a highlighted part only.

Asides from that, you have my compliments and sincere thanks for this site. 

One other thing, yesterday when a few friends of mine started chatting on their profile I got a notification every time they said something "User has updated their status", "Other user responded to this." 

Eventually my notifications started to lag, even.

The statuses on here aren't meant to be chatting hubs, so lagging is definitely something I'm afraid I can't help with. My best suggestion is to start up a Skype group or something of the likes. As far as the quoting goes, I am not sure what you mean. As you can see, I quoted your entire post. you just have to click the very far right "Quote" button.  :)

Thank you very much for your feedback, compliments, and thanks! However, I should be thanking you for utilizing and enjoying Whitetail! Thank you.  :D

#6 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7338 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

The statuses on here aren't meant to be chatting hubs, so lagging is definitely something I'm afraid I can't help with. My best suggestion is to start up a Skype group or something of the likes. As far as the quoting goes, I am not sure what you mean. As you can see, I quoted your entire post. you just have to click the very far right "Quote" button.  :)

Thank you very much for your feedback, compliments, and thanks! However, I should be thanking you for utilizing and enjoying Whitetail! Thank you.  :D

I only wanted to quote one part of your post, like this

. As far as the quoting goes, I am not sure what you mean. As you can see, I quoted your entire post. you just have to click the very far right "Quote" button.  :)

*edit*

If you respond to small essays like in Earth Ponies! then I have to quote several times and then remove whatever is not relevant to the part I want to respond too.

One problem I foresee is that this might give many "quote" notifications.

#7 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

~snip!~

Someday, perhaps, but that bridge will be crossed when we reach it. Sometimes it's safe to just do what I did above.

#8 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 7338 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, I can see how it's not a priority and that solving it might cause other problems to rise.

Another minor issue, and since I see no major issue this is all I can offer as suggestion, is allowing one to edit the title of her topics. 

#9 NastyMann

NastyMann

Worshipper of Shrek

• 291 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

I still want that taco stand.

#10 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, I can see how it's not a priority and that solving it might cause other problems to rise.

Another minor issue, and since I see no major issue this is all I can offer as suggestion, is allowing one to edit the title of her topics. 

As a matter of fact, you already can do that! Just click the "Use Full Editor" button  ;)

#11 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

After a day of doing a couple unusual activities, my attention was brought to my earlier way of thinking. I think looking at the question simply from my perspective was objectively limiting, so here are some thoughts, mostly for promoting social interactions...

Have you considered member spotlight events?

Basically I mean routine news events for happenings surrounding a single player (or sub-group), for one reason or another. It could be about anything, really. But it might offer one more update for people to take interest in, or anticipate. How you'd use it would be up to you, so I'll leave that open to interpretation (unless you really want me to elaborate on extensive, possibly boring lists here).

A few considerations for the idea, though:

Spoiler

I might also offer a couple general social thread ideas. Maybe a game where players can only speak in cryptic rhymes like Zecora, or a 'comedy club', where participants show off their humorous sides.

On the technical side of things, you may consider adding user-changeable background themes (I'm sure you've seen sites like Fimficton and such). This would require a little more time and effort constructing/drawing them, however. It's also only an aesthetic addon, and doesn't exactly improve site function, persay. Just trying to avoid anything that'd cost money, for now. :P

Hope this helps ideas, as always. :D

#12 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

~snip!~

I've been trying to implement this idea with Whitetail Window Shopping and the slider at the top of the front page. I'm still trying to work it out, though.

As for the general fun threads, anyone can start those! I encourage users to do so  :D

#13 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

This will probably end up being a pointless suggestion, but has there been considered options for sub-groups?

By this I mean user-made groups with one or another particular theme (an Applejack fans group, or a group who love the smell of raw pizza or something - anything, really). I typically see these only on larger forums and sites, however. The community here, though seemingly growing, is still somewhat smaller. Smaller communities usually don't need anymore categorizing, it might be seen as needless seperation to some. For that I suspect the idea wont offer much, but I may as well toss it out there.

While I'm at it, I'd like to ask if it's possible to post multiple polls on the same thread? If so, you could effectively create your own tests or even questionnaires (for subjects sort of like this thread) for feedback, or even just entertainment. The downside is polls would only offer a linear range of choices provided by the original poster or mod, there can't be any in-depth free expression or original suggestions like here. The upside is it'd only take a few clicks to fill out by comparison, and not everyone has time to answer at length like they might here.

Tacky Section:

Spoiler

I know these thoughts might be flimsy, but I'd rather offer to entertain the idea than let them rot and not know. Also, it helps keep this thread alive and in public view, which promotes a productive cause anyhow. 8D

#14 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

So, something done by Eclipse as an OOC record gave me a wonder on if creating a section for character journals (in-character personal writings, directly, indirectly, or not part of other rolelay) would be of interest to people? A specific section for them collectively, to be specific. I'm sure people to post them elsewhere, if they cared, but does anyone think this might garner some attentions? :wat:

#15 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts
  • LocationCanterlot Castle, ruling my little ponies...

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

This will probably end up being a pointless suggestion, but has there been considered options for sub-groups?

By this I mean user-made groups with one or another particular theme (an Applejack fans group, or a group who love the smell of raw pizza or something - anything, really). I typically see these only on larger forums and sites, however. The community here, though seemingly growing, is still somewhat smaller. Smaller communities usually don't need anymore categorizing, it might be seen as needless seperation to some. For that I suspect the idea wont offer much, but I may as well toss it out there.

I just wanted to respond to this, although it's certainly something you can all continue to discuss.

This happened on CL.

And it didn't go well.

I feel it ended up more forming exclusive cliques, and when they 'closed' they would allow no one else in those cliques. It was honestly one of the reasons I left. :/

But, maybe you can figure out a better way to do it. Who knows. :cake:

#16 CobsRa

CobsRa

$$$ MR. MONEYBAG$ $$$

• 472 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

I just wanted to respond to this, although it's certainly something you can all continue to discuss.

This happened on CL.

And it didn't go well.

I feel it ended up more forming exclusive cliques, and when they 'closed' they would allow no one else in those cliques. It was honestly one of the reasons I left. :/

But, maybe you can figure out a better way to do it. Who knows. :cake:

Yes, that would be a problem as well. Personally I wouldn't vouch for it to go very far, if at all, especially as the site is right now. I suppose it might have been a concern if the site every grew exponentially, but as it is it's more than stable in that regard, so... I wouldn't pay that suggestion any mind either way, unless member numbers grow out of control and organization is, for whatever reason, a must. Beside possibly that, though, I feel it'd be pointless.

Though, it does raise an interesting question about the site one of the members brought up previously... :wat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users