Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

S4-E25 & E26 Discussion: Twilight's Kingdom pt 1 & 2

S4 Season 4 Twilights Kingdom Twilight Sparkle Season Finale

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fawkes

Fawkes

Draconequus

• 65 posts
  • LocationThe Top of the Tallest Tower

Donator

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

8660b5d4-c42c-4903-be0a-0ce83ea8cd70_zps

In this epic two part finale to Season 4, Celestia orders Discord to hunt down a villain who escaped from Tartarus, giving Twilight a chance to finally open the chest from the Tree of Harmony!

Discussion for episodes 25 and 26 is open, everypony! As always, spoilers are welcome and to be expected!

#2 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

9.(Infinity)/10

BEST SEASON FINALE IS BEST PONY!!!

However, there's just that 0.(infinity)1 percentage of the problem... their ultimate transformation looked stupid as heck.

But that was a minor problem! Loved the last two episodes of Season 4!

#3 Flipthetables

Flipthetables

Princess of Friendship

• Staff
  • 1077 posts
  • LocationSkyloft

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

This season finale was amazing...

#4 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

Oh yeah, also the singing by Luna and Celestia.... I never thought I'd hear an episode where they sing.

#5 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

I wasn't too impressed with the finale, until I arrived at the part where Twilight and Tirek meet. There was absolutely nothing that could have prepared me for that fight scene. It was absolutely epic.

9001/10

#6 frostfauna

frostfauna

Frosty

• 46 posts
  • LocationAbroad...

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

Okay, this was easily one of the best, if not THE best episode in the series. Twilight and Tirek's fight scene was... what's the best way to put it... Jaw-dropping. You knew the moment he blew up her library, horseapples was going to get real, but oh man, I was not expecting all that! It blew me away. Plus, they SMASHED THROUGH A MOUNTAIN!!! Dragonball Z influences it seems.

Even before the fight scene, I thought it was great seeing Twilight all tweaked out on Alicorn magic and trying to hide it. Twilight, magic enhancing drugs are bad, m'kay? Lol. I hope we see a lot of good fanart in regards to that. I can't think straight about this finale right now. Might post again later.

#7 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

It was pretty good. It wasn't amazing or the best finale ever, but... it was fun. ^^

I sorta object to Discord being so easily tricked. He should be smarter then that.

#8 LostSanity

LostSanity

Oatmeal, are you LostSanity?!

• Roleplayer
  • 386 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

So... what was so controversial about that?

Here... let me answer that...

NOTHING.

That was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. That's all there is to it.

I certainly didn't expect an EPIC FIGHT like that. THAT was for sure!!

That fight reminded me of Dragon Ball Z. NO, NOT IN A BAD WAY. A GOOD WAY.

Dragon Ball Z has some pretty epic fights in that anime. That was a pretty epic fight.

There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING controversial about that episodes. NOTHING.

BEST. SEASON. YET.

Yes, IMO, but that's honestly how I feel.

Now go celebrate by listening to this credit theme:

Spoiler

^3^

#9 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

I liked the character development given to Discord throughout the episode and it made previous episodes with him better. He seemed to always struggle with his new position with ponies, so his betrayal made sense. At first I was hoping Discord would have had more to do with the protagonists stopping the villain, but if it wasn't for him leaving the bookmarks behind for Twilight, they wouldn't have figured out the keys. It all worked out and I preferred the way the writers went.

#10 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Random thoughts in a random order...

Finally got to watch the season finale, and I have to say, i'm impressed (though I have to admit they were rather heavy-handed with the "This is going to get you your key" bits... really should have had more lead up... and less OBVIOUS...

Otherwise... wow... just... wow...

However they did touch on something interesting... They don't need the EoH anymore... the chest wasn't a 'power up' perse, it didn't unlock new magic, it unlocked their OWN magic. Twilight even says as much "We have this power inside us every day" though I would have preferred a more obvious 'magic feather' plot if they were going that rout.

LOVED the songs, Luna singing! Also the cameos of practically EVERYONE in the series universe (including an implied strybook-cameo for Starswirl (note the robe and hat's design)) heck even the Breezies got a cameo!

Also, much to my twisted joy Dis-lestia is now vaguely implied (again) to be canon! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Will be interesting to see how they use that 'throne room' with the seven thrones in it... Sadly I'm having flashbacks to the 80s... but hopefully they'll do better (they've certainly found ways to use everything else) Of course it would have been more interesting imo to give her friends more of a title that "the princess's friends" at least call them advisors or something...

Also a little disappointed at how the princesses just walked out of tartarus, would have made a nice S5 intro to have Twiley and go have to mount a rescue mission, perhaps see some former villains (or rather, I guess 'historic villains' since all villains to date have been... destroyed... in one way or another except Discord, who oddly enough seems to have _finally_ learned his lesson on friendship.)

EDIT:
oh yeah and 'rainbow power' M6 look extremely gaudy... even AJ and Dash who are the most plain of the group are way over the top...

#11 Felyon

Felyon

Enthusiastic Lore Fan

• Roleplayer
  • 6719 posts

Donator

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

It was pretty good. It wasn't amazing or the best finale ever, but... it was fun. ^^

I sorta object to Discord being so easily tricked. He should be smarter then that.

Well, I expected him to explain at the end of the episode that it was the same plot as in the season opening: make Twilight be the one who confronts the danger so she'll grow as a Princess. That wink to Celestia might be an indication of them having an understanding.

I kind of liked how even Celestia admitted that she had no purpose for Twilight yet. So far her modus operandi seems to be: find potential threat to Equestria, like a pegasus with mind control abilities, and then make them live the dream in order to have one more agent of Harmony.

To be honest, the last thing I expected Twilight to be Princess of was Friendship. We already have one of those: the Princess of Love. Cadence supposedly ruled over emotions, so I thought Twilight would have been ruler of the mind: Magic, Leadership, Harmony, even Earth.

Princess of Mind would have made for a nice synchronicity with Emotion / Love, just like how Sun and Moon go together.  

#12 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

I very much enjoyed the episode. Yet I admit, I would not call it amazing or more the 'best' episode/finale as there were a few issues I had... one a carry over from past episodes. 

What was good: The introduction of Tirek, forming a bridge of sorts between Generation 1 and Friendship is Magic. The call back to Tartarus and Cerberus in It's About Time. The impressive battle between Tirek and Twilight. Finally, but not least, overall story and progression of the two part finale.

What I didn't care for or feel was bad: The uneven and unsatisfactory progression, as well as finish, of Discord's reform... for me at least, I understand many disagree with me. The use of a crystal castle upgrade to the library that left question of why the writers and animators even had the old castle in the Everfree play any part in the season, it just felt wasteful in how the castle was used. A few points used in the episodes such as Twilight just now showing concern/upset of not being treated as a princess when before she wanted to be treated as normal... and Celestia and Luna not consider that Tirek would find out about Twilight. This either from Discord or from the stained glass windows.

-----------------------

All in all, despite what I listed about I am accepting of the finale and still found more to enjoy then not.

#13 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

What I didn't care for or feel was bad: The uneven and unsatisfactory progression, as well as finish, of Discord's reform... for me at least, I understand many disagree with me. The use of a crystal castle upgrade to the library that left question of why the writers and animators even had the old castle in the Everfree play any part in the season, it just felt wasteful in how the castle was used. A few points used in the episodes such as Twilight just now showing concern/upset of not being treated as a princess when before she wanted to be treated as normal... and Celestia and Luna not consider that Tirek would find out about Twilight. This either from Discord or from the stained glass windows.

I have to agree with this, (mostly), it ties in with what I felt with the progression of the final 'key' In that scene, it seemed almost like Twilight was specifically eager for discord's gift NOT because she sincerely cared, but because she thought it was the key, almost a "give it to me! I'ts the key! Give it now!" kind of vibe (even though I *think* the writers were trying to imply from there onward that Discy was legit this time about his feelings...

As for the "finding out about Twilight" I half agree... the stained glass I feel like they might have forgotten about since they had so many others, it had happened a while back (so it wasn't fresh in their minds) and they were stressed. How many of us forget an important detail under stress? But thinking discord would never tell him? They either were putting faith in discord to NOT have sold out and been playing double-agent, or they were holding tightly to the Idiot Ball...

And the castle... while I don't have a problem with twilight getting a castle, I agree they should have utilized the old castle more. Honestly outside of finding the tree of harmony it feels like it's most important role was as a gag device from Castle Maneia to just cause scares and humor (and hint that the Pony of Shadows was real...) They really could have done more... heck they could have even had IT become twilight's castle after a lot of renovation (which was kinda implied to be going on during the Power Ponies episode opening)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: S4, Season 4, Twilights Kingdom, Twilight Sparkle, Season Finale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users