Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
Species

Dragon

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

Mandatory species lore.

#2 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 524 posts
  • LocationThe Dirty South

Donator

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Dragons you say? I've got some idea's that I'd like to throw around, I'll be sure to drop them in later. Hopefully I'll get some idea's from others flowing.

#3 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Dragons you say? I've got some idea's that I'd like to throw around, I'll be sure to drop them in later. Hopefully I'll get some idea's from others flowing.

Go ahead and throw!

#4 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts
  • LocationCanterlot Castle, ruling my little ponies...

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hmm....dragons, ye say?

I, too, have thoughts. I might pause my thinker on the manticores and jump over here for a bit....Hmmmm.... :chrysalis:

#5 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 524 posts

Donator

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

[I'm going to say ponies a lot, but really dragons live anywhere]

Dragons

Terrors of the skies or advanced social creatures; selfish hoarders or emotionally diverse peoples? Why not both? The dragon is a being who is ruled in equal amounts by both instinct and intelligence, constantly at odds with their own natures as they battle internally with whether to let nature take them, or to nurture their powerful minds. Dragons have been wrongly persecuted and rightfully attacked on multiple occasions. But such is their nature, duplicity is intrinsic to the wyrm; only in a draconic nest will you find individuals who have taken to burning villages and hoarding, living relatively peacefully next to sage-like scholars of the same race. Sometimes you wonder: Which race really needs to learn to love and tolerate?[<That's just a joke, don't add that last line!]

Culture/ Society

Many ponies believe that dragons have no culture or society, but that is entirely false. Draconic society is a complex thing that many scholars still struggle to understand. Within the ranks of the dragons there are possibly thousands of clans, flights, families, and other social groups, each with distinct leadership and unique hierarchies. Despite having so many groups though, there are a few things that remain consistent. on the learned side; Dragons tend to be extremely loyal. Once by a companion's side a dragon will almost never cross them. Dragons also are extremely prideful, hating to lose or submit. Respect also runs deep in honorable clans.

Often times ponies have reported dragons mysteriously appearing then requesting books or for them to tell a story and leaving just as suddenly. These dragons are often times live much closer to pony society than their neighbors are aware of, they chose to observe and learn, watching the equines.

On the other side of the spectrum, many dragons can be rude, vain, and selfish, choosing to follow viciousness, greed, and power over honor and knowledge. These are the dragons that ponies tend to think of when they image villages being attacked. Their groups are usually smaller because of how violent their society is.   

I'll say more later. Probably something about their greed.

#6 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

I'd like to add some, but please continue on the various parts of them, this is really the only thing I'd like to touch on.

Various known species of dragons:

Sand Dragons: 

• Few have been seen, and only in desert climates where water is extremely rare. Barbed tails. Breathe fire. Can have wings or be flightless. Have interlocking scales and make their dens in the cool caverns under the deserts, though it is rumored that there is a dragon castle somewhere in the great San Palomino, but it may just be a mirage. Rare.
  • Usually in shades of red/gold hues. 

Sky Dragons:

• Always born with wings. Wings much larger than other species. Breathe fire. Armor-like scales and forked tongues. Fairly common. 
  • Come in several shades varying from green to blue to black. They are known for having large migrations and traveling across the skies in great herds.

Mud Dragons:

• Usually chubbier dragons. Can breathe fire, but are pretty lazy. Usually reside in swampy areas. Love rolling in mud, and don't mind swimming. Usually have wings, but it's not uncommon for them to outgrow their wings as they never use them.  Fairly common.
  • Travel in small groups 3-5 strong. 
  • Shades of brown/brick hues. Occasionally a black or forest green.

Night Dragons:

• Thin, sleek dragons. Unknown whether they can breathe fire. Wisest of all dragons, their wings and underbellies are flecked with what looks like stardust. They are rumored to have magical and telekinetic abilities. 
  • Black in color, or rarely a very, very deep blue. Star patterns vary. Extremely rare dragons.

Ice Dragons:

• Thinner species, with tight scales to protect their skin from the elements they prefer to live in. Breathe ice. Can be born with or without wings, but most do have wings. Most of them have fur in some areas of their bodies, usually a mane rather than spikes along their spines, and thick tufts on their tails or sometimes around their claws. There have been a few that were born with full fur throughout their body, but these  are even more rare. These dragons only live in the Frozen North, past the Crystal Empire.
  • Shades of pale pastel colors fading to white. Very rarely, an ice dragon will be born with crystal clear scales. Uncommon.

Rainforest Dragons:

• Lithe, agile species, but prone to laziness. Live in tropical climates. They have prehensile tails, used to swing through trees. They have wings, normally. Are smaller than other dragons, and generally looked down upon by them. Acidic spit is their only known ability, but not much is known about them, as their tribes are very hard to find. Uncommon.
  • Live in massive groupings, and are very friendly. Will accept other dragons blindly into their midst. Ruled by a queen, typically. Herbivorous, typically fruits and veggies from the forest.
  • These dragons have the most uncommon scales of all--all of their bodies, from head to tail, are able to change color, which is what makes them extremely difficult to locate! They are like chameleons, only 100x more talened in disguise. They can, quite literally, disappear.

Breedability:

• Most dragon species have little to no interaction with other species. That said, they are magical creatures, and magical creatures can often cross species populate, and it has been known to happen.
  • Dragon/pony hybrids are possible. A kirin is usually the result.
  • Dragon/griffon hybrids are possible. This species has yet to be named, but typically is the size of a griffon, with the spikes of a dragon, and the tail of a dragon, but still has lion paws in the rear, dragon claws in the front. Wings on the only known example were of the griffon variety, but I suppose anything could happen!
  • Interspecies dragon breeding is possible.
  • It is unknown what other species may be possible to breed with dragons.

That's all I got so far....

Hope it helps or whatever. 

Oh, also, feedback! :)

#7 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 524 posts

Donator

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'd like to add some, but please continue on the various parts of them, this is really the only thing I'd like to touch on.

Various known species of dragons:

Sand Dragons: 

• Few have been seen, and only in desert climates where water is extremely rare. Barbed tails. Breathe fire. Can have wings or be flightless. Have interlocking scales and make their dens in the cool caverns under the deserts, though it is rumored that there is a dragon castle somewhere in the great San Palomino, but it may just be a mirage. Rare.
  • Usually in shades of red/gold hues. 

Sky Dragons:

• Always born with wings. Wings much larger than other species. Breathe fire. Armor-like scales and forked tongues. Fairly common. 
  • Come in several shades varying from green to blue to black. They are known for having large migrations and traveling across the skies in great herds.

Mud Dragons:

• Usually chubbier dragons. Can breathe fire, but are pretty lazy. Usually reside in swampy areas. Love rolling in mud, and don't mind swimming. Usually have wings, but it's not uncommon for them to outgrow their wings as they never use them.  Fairly common.
  • Travel in small groups 3-5 strong. 
  • Shades of brown/brick hues. Occasionally a black or forest green.

Night Dragons:

• Thin, sleek dragons. Unknown whether they can breathe fire. Wisest of all dragons, their wings and underbellies are flecked with what looks like stardust. They are rumored to have magical and telekinetic abilities. 
  • Black in color, or rarely a very, very deep blue. Star patterns vary. Extremely rare dragons.

Ice Dragons:

• Thinner species, with tight scales to protect their skin from the elements they prefer to live in. Breathe ice. Can be born with or without wings, but most do have wings. Most of them have fur in some areas of their bodies, usually a mane rather than spikes along their spines, and thick tufts on their tails or sometimes around their claws. There have been a few that were born with full fur throughout their body, but these  are even more rare. These dragons only live in the Frozen North, past the Crystal Empire.
  • Shades of pale pastel colors fading to white. Very rarely, an ice dragon will be born with crystal clear scales. Uncommon.

Rainforest Dragons:

• Lithe, agile species, but prone to laziness. Live in tropical climates. They have prehensile tails, used to swing through trees. They have wings, normally. Are smaller than other dragons, and generally looked down upon by them. Acidic spit is their only known ability, but not much is known about them, as their tribes are very hard to find. Uncommon.
  • Live in massive groupings, and are very friendly. Will accept other dragons blindly into their midst. Ruled by a queen, typically. Herbivorous, typically fruits and veggies from the forest.
  • These dragons have the most uncommon scales of all--all of their bodies, from head to tail, are able to change color, which is what makes them extremely difficult to locate! They are like chameleons, only 100x more talened in disguise. They can, quite literally, disappear.

Breedability:

• Most dragon species have little to no interaction with other species. That said, they are magical creatures, and magical creatures can often cross species populate, and it has been known to happen.
  • Dragon/pony hybrids are possible. A kirin is usually the result.
  • Dragon/griffon hybrids are possible. This species has yet to be named, but typically is the size of a griffon, with the spikes of a dragon, and the tail of a dragon, but still has lion paws in the rear, dragon claws in the front. Wings on the only known example were of the griffon variety, but I suppose anything could happen!
  • Interspecies dragon breeding is possible.
  • It is unknown what other species may be possible to breed with dragons.

That's all I got so far....

Hope it helps or whatever. 

Oh, also, feedback! :)

When I write stories I tend to call Dragon/ Griffon hybrids archgryphons.

I love the dragon species. Though I would like to know what make the rainforest dragons lazy? They are small (er than other dragons), live in a warm environment and swing through trees. That sounds perfect for a race of highly energetic reptiles!

#8 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

When I write stories I tend to call Dragon/ Griffon hybrids archgryphons.

I love the dragon species. Though I would like to know what make the rainforest dragons lazy? They are small (er than other dragons), live in a warm environment and swing through trees. That sounds perfect for a race of highly energetic reptiles!

They are just PRONE to laziness, because they have no real enemies in the forests, they can easily just get into the slump of doing nothing but eating fruit and playing with butterflies all day.

They're just....childish, to put it simply. Give a kid too much candy, they get chubby and lazy. :P

Culturally, though, they are fun and hyper. Love to have festivals and spitting contests...oh, and color changing contests. :3

Having this multitude of dragon species could create a whole new realm of roleplaying! :blargh:

#9 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

OMG!!! I can't believe I forgotttt!!!!

WATER dragons:

• Well muscled species. Cannot breathe fire, but can create jets of water. Extremely powerful tails, usually wider and flatter, to propel them through water. Can breathe underwater. Webbed toes. They have scales that can light up for communication underwater, kind of like a fireflies glow. This allows them to speak a sort of morse code through the blinking of the scales. Can be born with or without wings. Usually wingless dragons still have some sort of spines along their back to allow them to turn through water. While all dragons covet jewels, they covet pearls above all else. Uncommon.
  • Come in various shades of blue and teal, with the occasional soft purple hue or even reddish hues. Males tend to have flashier colored scales that light up.

#10 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

I like all of this. You want to write this, knight and Eclipse?

#11 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I like all of this. You want to write this, knight and Eclipse?

I'm up for it! :derp:

#12 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Moving to In Development!

#13 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Moving to In Development!

:)

:)

WHAT NOW? XD

#14 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Now... we write!

#15 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Now... we write!

Wha...what more do we write? How do we write it? I'm confused. :huh:

#16 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 524 posts

Donator

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'm up for it! :derp:

Me too!

Lost track of this when it moved.

#17 SonicRainboomGirl

SonicRainboomGirl

AM I STILL ILL?

• Co-Administrator
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationMaudlin Street

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

knight, check the already written lore for inspiration, and then start getting it structured  :)

#18 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

knight, check the already written lore for inspiration, and then start getting it structured  :)

:wat:

I need forms.

Forms, woman.

I don't just write.

If I write, it turns into bullets of facts.

I NEED A FORM.

SOMEPONY HELP. SOMEPONY GIVE ME A FORM. EVEN IF IT'S MADE UP, I'LL DO IT. :blargh:

#19 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 524 posts

Donator

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

:wat:

I need forms.

Forms, woman.

I don't just write.

If I write, it turns into bullets of facts.

I NEED A FORM.

SOMEPONY HELP. SOMEPONY GIVE ME A FORM. EVEN IF IT'S MADE UP, I'LL DO IT. :blargh:

Um... Look at the other accepted lores. Structure this around those

#20 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Um... Look at the other accepted lores. Structure this around those

I don't...know...I can't....it's too hard! >_< I ARE DUMB.  D:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users