Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
News

Staff notes, Sunday May 12th

Staff Notes Cast apps Lore Roleplay

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, Minneighsota

Donator

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hey folks, just a heads up to keep you informed of the latest goings-on in our hallowed halls.

We're gearing up to advertise in the coming weeks, which is likely to bring new players in! Before we do that though, there are 3 things we're determined to finish first:  The canon character application system and rules, the basic framework for lore development, and, of course, the ad itself.

Regarding the canon character application system, there are a number of possibilities here. The traditional you-app-and-you-get cast system is on the table, along with its requisite RP checks.  We're also discussing term-limits for popular cast members. That is, you might win Twilight Sparkle for a period, after which another round of cast voting occurs.  The idea being that this would spread the love.

The lore framework will be, as mentioned elsewhere, some form of crowdsourced.  We'd pick lore to work on from a pool of potential lore (or from staff decree of needs), and put that into a development pool from which submissions can be edited (like a wiki, sorta, but with a little more handholding from the higher-ups).

As for the advertisement, we will need it to rock, and are offering a commission to an artist who can make something eye-grabbing. Someone with typography, lettering, or graphic design skills might be useful as well.

Everything above is tentative and subject to change, but feel free to offer your thoughts or suggestions.

#2 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

And thus the site begins to branch outward. I will watch with interest. As for the canon character system, I should think that as long as an incumbent is allowed to app again once their term has expired, it would give everyone a chance to present views of a dynamic, evolving character. To win again, the player would likely have to show that they continually think about their cast in real-time, beyond simply winning once and never bothering to develop any further. Otherwise, a newcomer will win in the next round of voting and the character will get a fresh start regardless.

#3 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

And thus the site begins to branch outward. I will watch with interest. As for the canon character system, I should think that as long as an incumbent is allowed to app again once their term has expired, it would give everyone a chance to present views of a dynamic, evolving character. To win again, the player would likely have to show that they continually think about their cast in real-time, beyond simply winning once and never bothering to develop any further. Otherwise, a newcomer will win in the next round of voting and the character will get a fresh start regardless.

The only issue I have with that is it would mean cast RPers would have to write a fresh app every month (or w/e), which can be quite a chore, especially during the off-season when there's nothing new to really add... (unless you want to add-in board-canon which I dont think would be that good of an idea) 

I'd also add that I'd think this would be ignored if the character has no challengers (such as some background ponies) not entirely sure how that would work, but it doesnt seem fair that you'd lose a character just because nobody else wanted them...

#4 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

The only issue I have with that is it would mean cast RPers would have to write a fresh app every month (or w/e), which can be quite a chore, especially during the off-season when there's nothing new to really add... (unless you want to add-in board-canon which I dont think would be that good of an idea) 

I'd also add that I'd think this would be ignored if the character has no challengers (such as some background ponies) not entirely sure how that would work, but it doesnt seem fair that you'd lose a character just because nobody else wanted them...

The incumbent would not necessarily have to write an entirely new app each time so long as they were confident in the quality of his or her application. If the application was good enough to win in the first place, it would stand a good chance to do so again with a few touch-ups. This also stands as a good excuse to keep an app current and updated. Healthy competition makes for the best results. Stagnation, as per winning a cast character and keeping it, usually results in apathy and less effort. Iron sharpens iron.

If no one challenges that person once the time comes, I agree. They should simply keep their cast until the next round.

#5 Khajiit

Khajiit

Kitteh

• Roleplayer
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCasterly Rock

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Simple.

Let's say you have 3 months period after winning. It doesn't mean that you need to have a new application ready in 3 months. First of all, you can still use the old one if you believe it's still good enough and accurate with show. Secondly, if nobody posts an application for your cast, you simply keep hold on it. You're not stripped of it only because your time to hold it expired. You wait until somebody posts application, and simply keep an eye on it. You can roleplay that cast more than 3 months, even infinitely basically if nobody posts application for it.

The issue I'm more concerned about is of course how would one keep track on contacts given cast had with different ponies. As for T1, roleplayer would have to keep some kind of log who he/she interacted with and pass the log further on next roleplayer who takes control of character. For the sake of continuity.

EDIT: Ninjae'd.

#6 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ninjatales.

#7 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

The issue I'm more concerned about is of course how would one keep track on contacts given cast had with different ponies. As for T1, roleplayer would have to keep some kind of log who he/she interacted with and pass the log further on next roleplayer who takes control of character. For the sake of continuity.

Or just reset to show-canon with each new cast, that way there's a further incentive for the player to keep their cast as long as possible, so all that happened wont be wiped clean :)

#8 Khajiit

Khajiit

Kitteh

• Roleplayer
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCasterly Rock

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Or just reset to show-canon with each new cast, that way there's a further incentive for the player to keep their cast as long as possible, so all that happened wont be wiped clean :)

Yes, that's an incentive for one player. But let's look at this from different angle. When cast reset happens, every different player who RP-ed with given cast loses everything he/she worked on building and has to start anew again.

PS 4 Staff: Wouldn't it be better to post Staff Notes as locked threads and create a different one for discussion of those?

#9 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Khajiit, on 13 May 2013 - 1:27 PM, said:

Yes, that's an incentive for one player. But let's look at this from different angle. When cast reset happens, every different player who RP-ed with given cast loses everything he/she worked on building and has to start anew again.

Exactly. Therefore everyone will say "bob plays twilight well, and we dont want to lose all our history with twilight, so, we should keep bob as twilight!"

EDIT:
wait, no, brainfart, the staff votes not the site so they dont care >.< sorry...

#10 8bit-Icecube

8bit-Icecube

Pony

• 65 posts
  • LocationIn a freezer.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Player based voting like that will discourage new players from trying.

"I can't get Twilight ._. Bob has too many fans/relations.... Optional: although I know from a few people that I can play her much better."

You'll get the elite-only and buddy system with that.

Although the idea of periodically voting keeps good players on their toes and weeds out the inactive and 'bad' (read: less awesome) players.

The inevitable canon-transitioning between players could be resolved by letting each 'character' post their relation with said cast. Then if both parties agree, they keep the relation or start anew.

If any character with a relation doesn't respond, they lose said relation.

It creates some work, but lets new player keep old relations that he likes and recreate those which he doesn't see fit.

...that on itself will create the "buuhuu new Twilight doesn't like me" response, but... no system is perfect.

#11 Khajiit

Khajiit

Kitteh

• Roleplayer
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCasterly Rock

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

The inevitable canon-transitioning between players could be resolved by letting each 'character' post their relation with said cast. Then if both parties agree, they keep the relation or start anew.

If any character with a relation doesn't respond, they lose said relation.

That's basically what I've said. Twilight player should keep trace on who's he interacting with, it's not that much work actually, no more than having a character log. On the other hand, if you've meant other people contacting that one who becomes a "New" Twilight, then this is fatal. You'd have people addressing him/her for days possibly and it would simply overwhelm the new roleplayer if they all came at once.

I still believe that roleplaying a cast is a privilege. So with this privilege could come at least responsibility of keeping the relations with others crystal clear, so that any new player could have a quick insight and see what's going on.

#12 8bit-Icecube

8bit-Icecube

Pony

• 65 posts
  • LocationIn a freezer.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Mhmhm, yes indeed the same in base.

You suggest that the cast-player has to keep track of all relations, whereas I suggest that each involved player flood the new one's inbox with: I HAVE A RELATION!  :D

#13 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I like brainstorming solutions, even when they don't directly concern me.  I'm not an RPer anymore, and haven't participated in any canon RPs, but what about this:

Anyone can apply for any character.  Once your ap rises above a certain threshold for quality, you can play as that character.  This threshold could be higher than for OCs.

What is the purpose for the restriction?  How does having a less than stellar Twilight RPer playing with a less than stellar Pinkie RPer hurt the RP environment?  Maybe it does, but the curiosity over why this has not been implemented is killing me.  That restriction makes it seem unnecessarily exclusive.  

#14 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Good points, but eventually one must consider the reality of putting such complex systems into place. If you are to have multiple cast playing with multiple cast, why not simply do so in the Free-For-All roleplay section? As I have mentioned previously, I am not particularly a supporter of relegating the "less accomplished" roleplayers into an area where they can do whatever they so choose, I am simply arguing in the context of this thread that at some point putting so many "what if" situations into a regulated roleplay becomes an administrative nightmare.

A house of cards does eventually fall as one builds, regardless of the care used. Forgive my playing the devil's advocate.

#15 MyLittlePonyTales

MyLittlePonyTales

Princess of Hats

• Roleplayer
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I am inclined to agree. I always prefer one cast player, for the purpose of continuity. In addition, anyone may play any canon character in the FFA section, and even make and save a character application for when they open up. There is no problem with having quality RPs in the FFA section, and practicing well thought out Roleplays with OCs.

#16 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yet admittedly, most apply a negative stigma to Free-For-All. It is a sad cycle, one I will try to break. I have had fantastic open roleplays, and they can be structured. What has to be changed is the attitude of those involved.

#17 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Brutally honest opinion coming in...

I know why... When you cook up an app, and there is things wrong with your app, usually a helper from Canterlot would tell you detailed instructions of what is wrong with your character, then give you a decision. Fix it, or go to FFA. This give off the vibe that FFA is sort of a lame quitting area that you app goes to when it's not quality enough for "WoE standards". 

Also, Mane RP is depicted as "slice of life" RP. Meaning that if your character gets approved, then he/she is essentially living in the same universe as the TV show... And could essentially interact with cast characters who are played by actual, hand-picked, and carefully chosen members. Giving you the closest experience possible of interacting with cast ponies. Whereas FFA is more freeform, and does not feel like "slice of life" and any ol' Tom, Dick, and Harry could be playing a cast character. They may stink...

Finally, you never need to app a character for FFA in the first place. Making pulling this character through an approval process a waste of time, mostly.

So, how do you change the attitude towards FFA? Not to make it sound like a backup for failed Mane RP apps. 

#18 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, Minneighsota

Donator

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

I like brainstorming solutions, even when they don't directly concern me.  I'm not an RPer anymore, and haven't participated in any canon RPs, but what about this:

Anyone can apply for any character.  Once your ap rises above a certain threshold for quality, you can play as that character.  This threshold could be higher than for OCs.

What is the purpose for the restriction?  How does having a less than stellar Twilight RPer playing with a less than stellar Pinkie RPer hurt the RP environment?  Maybe it does, but the curiosity over why this has not been implemented is killing me.  That restriction makes it seem unnecessarily exclusive.  

I like brainstorming solutions too -- I certainly don't plan to app any cast.  And I'd favor the "anyone can play cast" that you've proposed, but I suspect the idea is DOA for most other folks.  If it were entirely my decision, there'd be no cast at all, but folks love cast, and far be it for me to tell people they can't.

Good points, but eventually one must consider the reality of putting such complex systems into place. If you are to have multiple cast playing with multiple cast, why not simply do so in the Free-For-All roleplay section? As I have mentioned previously, I am not particularly a supporter of relegating the "less accomplished" roleplayers into an area where they can do whatever they so choose, I am simply arguing in the context of this thread that at some point putting so many "what if" situations into a regulated roleplay becomes an administrative nightmare.

A house of cards does eventually fall as one builds, regardless of the care used. Forgive my playing the devil's advocate.

So do you feel like main RP should have no standards at all, or that free RP should require app approval?

#19 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Brutally honest opinion coming in...

I know why... When you cook up an app, and there is things wrong with your app, usually a helper from Canterlot would tell you detailed instructions of what is wrong with your character, then give you a decision. Fix it, or go to FFA. This give off the vibe that FFA is sort of a lame quitting area that you app goes to when it's not quality enough for "WoE standards". 

Also, Mane RP is depicted as "slice of life" RP. Meaning that if your character gets approved, then he/she is essentially living in the same universe as the TV show... And could essentially interact with cast characters who are played by actual, hand-picked, and carefully chosen members. Giving you the closest experience possible of interacting with cast ponies. Whereas FFA is more freeform, and does not feel like "slice of life" and any ol' Tom, Dick, and Harry could be playing a cast character. They may stink...

Finally, you never need to app a character for FFA in the first place. Making pulling this character through an approval process a waste of time, mostly.

So, how do you change the attitude towards FFA? Not to make it sound like a backup for failed Mane RP apps. 

FFA is supposed to be a sandbox first and foremost. It's there so people can get a taste of RP without a lot of investment on their part. But ultimately, you can make a lot more out of it, if you put in the effort. Play by your own rules, within the age restriction we chose for the board (It's PG, just for reference).

That aside, since we aim for a PG rating, we have a bit more lenience what we can approve.

But ultimately, if you want to have something bigger and more organized in FFA, you'll have to do it yourself, for the time being, and the same is true for Canterlot. Just look at what the Fallout Equestria people were doing there. Their RP was well above the WoE average.

#20 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

FFA is supposed to be a sandbox first and foremost. It's there so people can get a taste of RP without a lot of investment on their part. But ultimately, you can make a lot more out of it, if you put in the effort. Play by your own rules, within the age restriction we chose for the board (It's PG, just for reference).

That aside, since we aim for a PG rating, we have a bit more lenience what we can approve.

But ultimately, if you want to have something bigger and more organized in FFA, you'll have to do it yourself, for the time being, and the same is true for Canterlot. Just look at what the Fallout Equestria people were doing there. Their RP was well above the WoE average.

Oh no doubt at all. I think FFA has the user potential to be the best thing since sliced bread. But Core brought up how the attitudes of the general audience has to change, to make FFA more of an acceptable RP area. And I'm thinking, that the staff can play a crucial role in the audience's mood towards FFA as well. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Staff Notes, Cast apps, Lore, Roleplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users