Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
News

Staff notes, Sunday May 12th

Staff Notes Cast apps Lore Roleplay

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Bellosh101

Bellosh101

Lurking

• Roleplayer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanterlot

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

About my thoughts on Free-for-All: FFA is whatever you want it to be in you mind. If you think of the place as a ghetto of undesirables locked out from the gated RP section, then that's what the place will be for you. If you think FFA is instead a place where off-the-wall & casual RP can occur without waiting forever for replies, that can also be your truth.

Just note: as a volunteer at Canterlot, I and my other colleagues take it upon ourselves to juggle the combined responsibilities of evaluating WoE character applications, roleplaying our characters, and performing miscellaneous tasks for the site..... all the while dealing with real-life junk. Our time is thus very limited, and so if we think there's an extremely little chance that an OC is a fit for our gated RP section, we won't hesitate to ask someone to make that character a FFA one instead so that we can bring our full attention towards other users patiently waiting to get their characters approved.

Say what you want about our OC placement suggestions at Canterlot..... but something tells me our opposite numbers at WTW will be faced with the same issues as well. :P

#42 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Is not elitism by necessity still elitism? Forgive me if I seem to be playing both sides, I am simply trying to force consideration of all aspects of the situation. I personally enjoy the freedom granted by FFA.

#43 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

It was just a heads up Templar, I don't know why you treat this as some kind of personal assault. *Shrugs* You need to ease the tension.

Just a quick thing to say before we continue.

I am not tense.

Khajiit, I am perfectly fine with when anybody provides a counterargument to a point of mines about any subject. It's harmless debate, that is fine. But what caused me to respond in a defensive manner, is because you pulled an Ad Hominem. An argument against character instead of the topic at hand. You said that I held beef against an assumed staff member, then told me that I was "spilling my guts" about Canterlot. That was incorrect. This was a harmless debate dude. A simple counterargument or refutation to my point would have been fine. I have the right to state my opinion on anything, as long as it's intent was to help this forum. You also have the right to disagree with me as you please, just don't attack my character for it.

#44 SteelEagle

SteelEagle

Grandest Apple of All

• Staff
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

As for terms, i'm against them.  As an RPer, that would make me overly conservative with characters and unwilling to really engage the userbase. While spreading the love is never bad in theory, the result is that players of characters won't want to engage in any long-term RPing. If I'm Apple Bloom and the Applejack RPer is gonna have to win a new round of apps in a month, then the RPs with AJ become very low priority. Threads start to falter and die and character interaction with both cast and OC dies. Suddenly cast becomes nothing more than a temporary badge of honor that says you're good at apping and doesn't really matter as far as RP is concerned. In fact, I can see threads specifically keeping cast out- they don't want to suffer from slowdown or even death if the cast character is won by someone who doesn't like the thread.

Edit: And enough about Canterlot. This isn't a forum where the main focus is on why we dislike something or why we're upset with something. This isn't a forum made so you can air your negative emotions about something under the guise of discussions. Please do not make our job more difficult because you have opinions that aren't better aired somewhere else. This is the Staff Notes thread, not Random Discussion Thread #13, not a venting thread, not a debate thread. Take it out. [Edit:  I took it out!  But this line can stay because staff agrees here with SteelEagle. --Dessa]

#45 8bit-Icecube

8bit-Icecube

Pony

• 65 posts
  • LocationIn a freezer.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

To the best of my knowledge, little to none if those involved wish it. Taking into consideration that this is a pony site, however, I would assume there would be at least a hint of ponies by those who wish to roleplay.

Perhaps that provided a small spark, if any, but the staff have all repeated that WW came to fruition from a joint desire to add something new to the pony side of the internet.

:D Just an idea I was brooding on. Something I'm not ready for yet.... yet a long time... a really looooong time (read 2 months).

Just pinching around how the idea will strike. And I know there are people going to bite. Just looking for the right angle to approach it. 

Currently, right angle should be.... a whooole lot of ponies!  :D  :D

*Holds up lightning rod*

Templar is short-sighted and that cat doesn't know how to be tactful! Get that argument into a private area!

*Uses a spritzer on both* Shoo! Shoo!   :squee:

#46 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Yes, stop it with the off topic talk.

I don't want to have to take action to keep this thread on track.

#47 Core

Core

Foal

• 41 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

As I have provided my opinions and am noticing that this thread is becoming increasingly edgier, I shall take my leave until the next Staff Notification. I hope WW prospers from whatever is gleaned from this conversation. Fare thee well, and I shall make a parting suggestion to use the artists you have always used for promotional art.

#48 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

As I have provided my opinions and am noticing that this thread is becoming increasingly edgier, I shall take my leave until the next Staff Notification. I hope WW prospers from whatever is gleaned from this conversation. Fare thee well, and I shall make a parting suggestion to use the artists you have always used for promotional art.

No, no, no, please... Stay and share your opinions some more, if you have any. The edgy-ness has ceased.

#49 SteelEagle

SteelEagle

Grandest Apple of All

• Staff
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Now, if we want people to have chances at cast that have already been claimed and that is important, I am sure there are methods that wouldn't play havoc on a person's roleplaying capabilities on the forum.

#50 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, Minneighsota

Donator

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Canterlot discussion moved to the Let us be honest thread, and a few posts with mixed on-off topic issues have been edited.

Now, if we want people to have chances at cast that have already been claimed and that is important, I am sure there are methods that wouldn't play havoc on a person's roleplaying capabilities on the forum.

I'd love to hear about these methods.

#51 SteelEagle

SteelEagle

Grandest Apple of All

• Staff
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

1- Multiple cast characters. This is fraught with danger as several players who are good would rather not RP as a character if it means having to share a canon, but it's an option. The initial winner gets to make the decision on who wins the second or third, since they may have to work together.

2- Term Limits that are defined by activity or quality. Characters only come up for apping on those term limits if they have had activity problems or low quality.

#52 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, Minneighsota

Donator

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Term limits already include a quality check at the end of the term.  I feel like #1 is a bit complicated as well.

#53 SteelEagle

SteelEagle

Grandest Apple of All

• Staff
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

It is. But then again it's a complicated subject if you're including either term limits or multiple characters, and it's why both are inferior options to a standard, "One app, one character, one player" system.

#54 Skye

Skye

Cerf Bleu

• Roleplayer
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Interestingly, all this discussion reminds me of a similar discussion elsewhere about the same situation. I've brought up a 'slot' system for managing cast characters that is expandable as the site grows. I've last discussed it with Davroth but I know some others may have caught wind of it at one point or another.. I can provide better details when I'm a little less mobile-stuck and can write a more lengthy post on it for consideration and perusal.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

#55 Tenkan

Tenkan

Pony

• 66 posts
  • LocationSaddle Arabia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

I like this announcement.  ^3^

I'm going with the flow as the casual member I am. Sorry if I'm not giving much feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Staff Notes, Cast apps, Lore, Roleplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users