Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
News

Board Update!

srs bsns Update Note

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, Minneighsota

Donator

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

ZhbtHv2.png

Welp, we've worked, we've dragged our hooves, we've gone on an unholy Animal Crossing binge, we've slogged/enjoyed our way through Equestria Girls, but today, we achieve something of consequence!  Yep, that's right, it's a forum update.  Today's theme is growth.

Growing the world
We have a lore forum now.  More importantly, we've developed a sensible system for handling lore! Those of you out there who want to build worlds should head on over there and check it out.  Make sure to hit the stickied posts therein to familiarize yourself with the system.

tAwHfdK.pngu9YsdYO.pngtAwHfdK.pngu9YsdYO.pngtAwHfdK.pngu9YsdYO.pngtAwHfdK.pngu9YsdYO.png

Growing your garden
We're adding badges!  As you achieve certain things or participate in certain events, you'll earn things to put in your garden (which you can opt to show at the foot of your posts).  The more stuff you do, the more stuff you get.  Right now, we have just two badges (donator and founder), but with your help, we will have many more.  What would YOU like to see recognized?  My pixel-finger is itching to make s'more. (Edit:  Err. very soon.  One or two kinks left to work out for badges).

Growing the forum
With this update, we're also starting outside advertisement to bring some fresh faces in, starting with the a post to Equestria Daily's nightly roundup (including the image atop this post -- much love and appreciation to BrianBlackberry for hooking us up).  Feel free to spread the image itself as well, just as long as you leave the artist's signature and our URL on there.  Depending on how much money we find in the couch cushions (our couches accept donations), we'll get rolling on some genuine ad-buys as well and get some fresh faces for you guys to initiate.  

Growing the cast
Yep, cast!  We'll be starting lesser cast members, and in the coming weeks, and slowly opening up the Big Dogs like the mane six in the coming weeks.

Growing this metaphor ceased to be useful last paragraph.
We've hired some staff.  No more interminable waits while your app slowly festers in the midday sun!  These waits are gonna be totally terminable now!  Welcome aboard, SonicRainboomGirl, Vizionz, Knight, and Iza-Chan.

VE GROW!
150px-Photo_Finish_ID.png

#2 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

First and foremost (since it's center-stage and grabs the attention) Awesome Artwork! (Though I'm scratching my head a little at how it's supposed to fit into the "growing" theme of the post ;) :P )

Also, I'm just curious whether it was on purpose or a side-effect, but was the "PM me your apps" specifically so that nobody would know who was apping what char and wouldn't get intimidated? (i.e. "Oh I was going to app PonyX, but I saw Member5 apped her, so I know I'll lose and I'm not going to try")

For the aid of those who desire multiple T3 chars (and my aid later) I also wanted to ask, what's the limit on the # of open cast apps? Especially since so many chars got moved up in tiers... (I'm looking at like 1 T3, 3 T2 and 2 T1s that I would *like* --- and for the record, no, it's not 2 Mane-6 >.<)

and slowly opening up the Big Dogs like the mane six in the coming weeks.

They're not dogs, their ponies! You have your shows mixed up! :P (sorry, couldn't resist that joke! :D)

#3 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts

Donator

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

First and foremost (since it's center-stage and grabs the attention) Awesome Artwork! (Though I'm scratching my head a little at how it's supposed to fit into the "growing" theme of the post ;) :P )

Also, I'm just curious whether it was on purpose or a side-effect, but was the "PM me your apps" specifically so that nobody would know who was apping what char and wouldn't get intimidated? (i.e. "Oh I was going to app PonyX, but I saw Member5 apped her, so I know I'll lose and I'm not going to try")

For the aid of those who desire multiple T3 chars (and my aid later) I also wanted to ask, what's the limit on the # of open cast apps? Especially since so many chars got moved up in tiers... (I'm looking at like 1 T3, 3 T2 and 2 T1s that I would *like* --- and for the record, no, it's not 2 Mane-6 >.<)

They're not dogs, their ponies! You have your shows mixed up! :P (sorry, couldn't resist that joke! :D)

I made that growing theme up at like the last minute.  I just needed something to help me split everything up into little bullet points while all seeming somehow related :P

As for cast apps, the details are in the cast app post in character bios, but you can have 4 total, 1 of t1, 2 of t1 or t2 (meaning 2 total within the top 2 tiers).  As far as cast who have "moved up" in tiers (from what?), they could just as easily move back down.  If there's a prolonged disinterest in Scootaloo, say, she'll drop a tier.  Or if we get like 8 people pining for Lyra, she might raise a tier.  It's all flexible at this point.  If you've got opinions, let us hear em!

The PM me your apps was so I could remove names and allow the appstaff to vote on apps' merits rather than the names on the apps.  There's no way we can keep who is apping secret.  People tend to announce it when they do, but we don't have any intention of announcing who ourselves.

Actually, if you'll recall, this a Dog and Pony Show :P

#4 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

As for cast apps, the details are in the cast app post in character bios, but you can have 4 total, 1 of t1, 2 of t1 or t2 (meaning 2 total within the top 2 tiers).  As far as cast who have "moved up" in tiers (from what?), they could just as easily move back down.  If there's a prolonged disinterest in Scootaloo, say, she'll drop a tier.  Or if we get like 8 people pining for Lyra, she might raise a tier.  It's all flexible at this point.  If you've got opinions, let us hear em!

Nice choice to rub salt in the wound... In case you didnt know, the two T1 chars I wanted were RD (duh) and Scootaloo... and I'm sure quite a few want the CMC as well as others... from a *canon* POV, this makes perfect sense, but from an RP POV it makes a large group of characters that are severely restricted... especially if more chars move into T1, in theory you could end up with almost the entire cast being T1 where none of the RPers could have more than 1 cast char (yes, radical extreme end of the spectrum, but...)

Also I personally think the restrictions are rather tight, given the huge number of characters and low number of RPers, but that's a lesser gripe...

Actually, if you'll recall, this a Dog and Pony Show :P

No, that was 119 :P

#5 NastyMann

NastyMann

Worshipper of Shrek

• 291 posts

Donator

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I want all the badges. I'm gonna be the very best that no one ever was.

#6 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts

Donator

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Nice choice to rub salt in the wound... In case you didnt know, the two T1 chars I wanted were RD (duh) and Scootaloo... and I'm sure quite a few want the CMC as well as others... from a *canon* POV, this makes perfect sense, but from an RP POV it makes a large group of characters that are severely restricted... especially if more chars move into T1, in theory you could end up with almost the entire cast being T1 where none of the RPers could have more than 1 cast char (yes, radical extreme end of the spectrum, but...)

Also I personally think the restrictions are rather tight, given the huge number of characters and low number of RPers, but that's a lesser gripe...

No, that was 119 :P

If we've got few players and spots aren't filling, we can change tiering to make more characters available, or we can change the rules to allow for more cast very easily.  This is something we're keeping an eye on to prevent the worst case scenarios like you describe.

The other option would have been to be more permissive with character claims, in which case the best biographers could easily walk in and claim a larger number of characters, leaving little for anyone else.  Consider the frustration of seeng Rainbow Dash AND Scootaloo go to someone else.  In such a scenario, how to we make the rules more restrictive?  Consider existing claims exempt ( would be unfair to newer players)?  Strip characters from people who have them?  There no solution to that that isn't ugly.

Its much easier to ease restrictions in this case than it is to tighten them.  

#7 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts
  • LocationCanterlot Castle, ruling my little ponies...

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

YAY I HAVE A FANCY SHIELD THING. 

I look forward to....

assessing....

your....

APPS. 

tumblr_lja4r1C42G1qg03nz.png

pls don't fire me.

#8 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

I want to participate in events.  But not in hard-core role playing stuff.

Are there plans for low-key participation opportunities?

Also "growing" is a great theme.  I think it is time for an avatar change...

#9 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts

Donator

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

We would love to have events in which all can participate.  We javent planned any events yet, and when we do, we'll solicit input on the topic, so hang on to any great ideas you have!

#10 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

If we've got few players and spots aren't filling, we can change tiering to make more characters available, or we can change the rules to allow for more cast very easily.  This is something we're keeping an eye on to prevent the worst case scenarios like you describe.

The tiering is a technicality that annoys me and probably nobody else because it says that in the world of equestria, Celestia and Appelbloom are of equal importance (for example) or it says that the CMC get as much airtime as the Mane-6, or that Twilight and Applebloom are of equal power... it just doesnt seem to mesh well...

(My complaint would be resolved just as easily with "max of 2 of each tier" as soon as moving chars down to other tiers, the logic of the organization is what's itching me about the tiers themselves)

The other option would have been to be more permissive with character claims, in which case the best biographers could easily walk in and claim a larger number of characters, leaving little for anyone else.

Why not require anyone wanting a cast character to do a "test RP" with a staffer then? that would weed out the people who are just "Good biographers, bad RPers"

Consider the frustration of seeng Rainbow Dash AND Scootaloo go to someone else.

......I did...... (though to be fair I think the deck was stacked against me...)

In such a scenario, how to we make the rules more restrictive?  Consider existing claims exempt ( would be unfair to newer players)?  Strip characters from people who have them?  There no solution to that that isn't ugly.

I thought the rule was "you win each cast for 30 days, then they go are open again and you cannot re-app during that period" (i.e. no consecutive terms)

#11 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts

Donator

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

I really pushed for term limits.  I think it's a great idea and that the negatives were overstated, but I was very much in the minority.  As it stands, there are no term limits, though the idea of evaluations has been batted around.  We'll probably go with this for a while, then check back witht the community down the road to see where we stand.

I like the idea of test RPs too.  My worry there is workload.  But, and I dont speak for anyone else here, I do suspect it would produce better RPers.  Adding a way to evaluate community involvement would be great too.  Not sure how we could do that.  

For now, the rules are as they are.  It's too soon to start playing with the formula: we need to see it in action first.

Tiering isn't based on any single factor.  Power isn't a factor for most ponies, but by appearances, Luna would be tier 2.  By appearances, the CMC are the only ponies outside of the Six that get their own episodes, which seems pretty important.  Others are shuffled simply for popularity purposes, which we've already explained.

#12 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I really pushed for term limits.  I think it's a great idea and that the negatives were overstated, but I was very much in the minority.  As it stands, there are no term limits, though the idea of evaluations has been batted around.  We'll probably go with this for a while, then check back witht the community down the road to see where we stand.

I like the idea of test RPs too.  My worry there is workload.  But, and I dont speak for anyone else here, I do suspect it would produce better RPers.  Adding a way to evaluate community involvement would be great too.  Not sure how we could do that.

You might also consider adding minimum-length requirements for cast (i.e. "all cast character posts must be 3 paragraphs long, minimum of 12 sentences") to force RPers to put more thought into their plots, characters, and posts. 

Tiering isn't based on any single factor.  Power isn't a factor for most ponies, but by appearances, Luna would be tier 2.  By appearances, the CMC are the only ponies outside of the Six that get their own episodes, which seems pretty important.  Others are shuffled simply for popularity purposes, which we've already explained.

I understand, it's just my OCD doesnt like it :P lol

#13 Dessa

Dessa

Sprite Donor

• 316 posts

Donator

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

You might also consider adding minimum-length requirements for cast (i.e. "all cast character posts must be 3 paragraphs long, minimum of 12 sentences") to force RPers to put more thought into their plots, characters, and posts. 

I understand, it's just my OCD doesnt like it :P lol

Personally, I always found length requests strange.  Conciseness has its place in writing, after all.  But then, I don't understand forum RP very well.  It's strange and foreign to me.  But the people on staff who DO enjoy it didn't want rules to bog down too heavily.  They said it would make it feel like work and sap the fun out of things if too many requirements got laid on ya.  Sounds legit.

#14 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Personally, I always found length requests strange.  Conciseness has its place in writing, after all.  But then, I don't understand forum RP very well.  It's strange and foreign to me.  But the people on staff who DO enjoy it didn't want rules to bog down too heavily.  They said it would make it feel like work and sap the fun out of things if too many requirements got laid on ya.  Sounds legit.

Eh, Quantity vs quality, you can either have a dozen half-plot posts or 3 really good ones, which do you choose? (rhetorical question)

I understand, I'll go harass somepony else now ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, srs bsns, Update Note

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users