Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
Requests and Commissions

Commission quality?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lebatteur

lebatteur

Parasprite

• 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I would like to start doing commissions but I'm a little unsure of how good my sketches are. Does anyone have a good idea of what kind of pencil art you'd pay for?

#2 knight

knight

The QUEEN

• Co-Administrator
  • 1983 posts
  • LocationCanterlot Castle, ruling my little ponies...

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Perhaps it might be a more discussable topic if you had some examples of your artwork for us to base this off of? XD 

I know most people have gone almost completely digital when it comes to buying/receiving art. *shrug* It may be more in your benefit to invest in a tablet if you're interested in selling your art. Otherwise, pieces that will bring you the most profit are going to be the ones you work more on, such as paintings on canvas, or highly detailed sketches. Most art in physical circulation has to have some sort of medium to it besides pen/pencil. 

Hope that halps.

#3 Dunes

Dunes

Parasprite

• 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Oooh I know this thread is a month old, but...

If we're talkin' personally, the only situation would pay for a pencil drawing is if it were a personalized sketch from an artist I really admired. But then, I prefer to have color up on my walls, or at least something inked. I draw in pencil all the time, and I know some people who do stunning pencil-only artwork, but it just ain't my bag for finished pieces. When I do buy art, it's usually prints (assuming we're talking a physical product here) just because it's cheaper. When I do buy original art, it's usually small paintings or ink drawings. Or lithographs/etchings/relief printing, which are also prints, just not of the comes-out-of-an-inkjet variety.

I could be pulling it out of the air, here, but the leaning towards digital art as far as ponies go is probably due to the style of the show (clean-lined vectors) as well as the fact that, past the initial investment in a computer and equipment, each piece only costs the artist their time. I think physical art (paintings, drawings, sculptures, prints, all that) is more likely to sell at, say, a convention. Personally, I'd be more willing to buy a painting in front of my face than one I had to risk getting shipped to me. 

Shipping art can get costly, especially past a certain size, and you just have to write "please don't bend!! artwork!!" all over it in an attempt to appease the postal workers. (The "Do Not Bend" stamp gets put all over everything anyway, so I just try to specify there's art in here seriously don't bend it. Adding "please" never hurts, too.) I probably wouldn't want to pay $5 to ship a sketch that only cost $10, either. I might for a good print, but I'd be secure in the knowledge that if it got mangled in the mail, I could probably get another one.

But what would make me buy a piece? (Assuming I had the money.) It'd need to have something distinctive about it. I probably wouldn't pay for a print of a character that looked like a carbon copy of the show, for example. I'd look for an interesting composition, high skill level, a distinctive style*, and just something about it that's unique. Basically, "Does it look good, can I afford it, and is it something I can't go to anybody else for?"

(* "A distinctive style" is a very broad and subjective term here and is not anywhere near as difficult to achieve as some make it out to be. Mostly I mean it doesn't look like you're trying to make your work look exactly like someone else's. Everyone's got influences, but insofar as ponies are concerned, I'm more interested in a particular artist's interpretation than I am in their ability to carbon-copy the show style.)

It is hard to judge with no examples, though. Definitely whip up some examples if you don't already have any. If you're thinking of charging different amounts for different levels of work, have at least a couple of examples each for each price level. It's easier to get definitive answers "Would you pay $10 for something like this, this, or this?" than "What kind of art would you buy?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users