Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo
Other Creative Works

Chapien the Game Designer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hello everypony!

As some of you likely know, I'm attending college to study game design. Over the course of the next four years, I will be required to produce one game every semester with a team of my fellow students. It will be hard, stressful, frustrating, but ultimately worth it all. It's been my dream since I was a little filly to make video games, and I'll be damned if I back out now!

In fact, I've decided to start early - why wait?

Games are an art. Maybe not all games are GOOD art (ie Call of Duty), but there are countless artistic experiences to be had in games (Portal, Braid, and others). Many, when they think of art and games, think of the models and the art style or sometimes the story. But, this is not what I mean by the art of games - I am speaking of the DESIGN itself.

Many do not know quite what game design is - many mistakenly assume that it is simply programming. Although I am required to know how to program, and am even required to do a bit of programming myself, my job will not be a programmer - leave that to those who actually majored in Computer Science! Rather, the core of game design is, well, the design of the game!

That is to say, the rules. Game Design is not at all limited to video games. The rules of a board game are written by a game designer. How a game works is made by the game designer. The stats of a character. The layout of a level. The progression of skills in an RPG. Unit prices in an RTS. Weapon damages in an FPS. All of these are the job of the designer, who then relays these mechanics and values to the programmer to be converted into an engine (with the designer doing higher-level programming, mostly implementation as opposed to engine programming), and to the artist to be turned into something visual.

This, game design, is an art in and of itself. It's incredibly challenging to make a game - sure, the programming is hard, and the art is also hard, but the MAIN part of the game isn't the programming or the art. It's the rules. The balance. This is incredibly hard to do. If done successfully, it elicits an emotion in its audience - fun.

Therefore, as a game designer, I am an artist- of a different kind. I have to know how to write creatively. I have to know how to program. I have to know a lot of mathematics. I need to know how games fundamentally work - why does one skill do this and the other do that? I need some knowledge in drawing. Architecture. Even Pyschology is a required class of all game design students.

So, I decided to start a thread for my own art! Here, I will post a list of my projects that I am currently working on, along with screenshots, art, design documents, bits of code, and so on! In fact, I might even have an idea for a game that I do not have the resources to make on my own - and maybe recruit some help! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read my textwall, and enjoy my terribad games!

Current Projects:

• A My Little Pony RPG (title pending) 

Completed Projects:

• Nothing yet! :(

Abandoned Projects :( :

• Warfare is Magic (Old RTS project of mine, my entire team pretty much lost interest) 

Random Ideas:

• Nothing yet! :(

#2 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Me and a friend (Harbringer Grey) have began working on a My Little Pony Action RPG. A basic engine framework is near completion, and then we can enter pre-production. If any artists or musicians are interested in helping, let me know!

#3 MyLittlePonyTales

MyLittlePonyTales

Princess of Hats

• Roleplayer
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Why must my talent lie in voices? D:

#4 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm curious what school you attend.

#5 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

DigiPen Institute of Technology. I've been rather busy with school work, hence my lack of posting anywhere.

#6 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

DigiPen is a good one.

It's one of the ones I recommend to people, along with RIT and Full Sail.

I'm also curious what tools they're teaching these days. If you know that is.

#7 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

I would never recommend Full Sail to anyone. Ever.

Right now we're using proprietary tools.

#8 Shift

Shift

Shifty

• Roleplayer
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Call the MLP Rpg...

wait for it...

Equestria RPG.

ORIGINALITY.

#9 SunBurn

SunBurn

Momlestia Lover

• 64 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

This, game design, is an art in and of itself. It's incredibly challenging to make a game - sure, the programming is hard, and the art is also hard, but the MAIN part of the game isn't the programming or the art. It's the rules. The balance. This is incredibly hard to do. If done successfully, it elicits an emotion in its audience - fun.

Well, you didn't specifically say that it's the only thing to elicit or only goal. If you had, I would have disagreed with you. Game design can do more than just get the player to have fun. It has the potential to carry over a much more diverse variety of experiences. This video explains it pretty well.

The thing is, it's possible to put a player in the shoes of another person and get them to experience something new, bizzarre yet seemingly real.

#10 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

"Finding the fun" is one of the more annoy phrases I've heard within the industry, a decade ago, I had used the term as well.

Eh, I didn't realize Digipen was still going on with proprietary tools. That's one of the aspects of Digipen I wish they would change. While you learn the development pipeline with them, the specific knowledge on that toolset is useless.

Though you may have misunderstood. I specifically meant game building toolsets. I was wondering which ones they have for the students there.

I know for art, they have all the things you'd need there, like Photoshop, Maya, Max, and a few sculpting software.

#11 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Well, we actually have to build our own engine starting next year. Which gives us far more knowledge than using existing tools would.

#12 ZephyrBurst

ZephyrBurst

Awesome Mini-Boss

• Staff
  • 359 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you're going into programming/engineering, sure. What is your major there?

#13 Chapien

Chapien

Silly Filly

• Roleplayer
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWashington

Donator

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science and Game Design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users