Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

S4-E04 Discussion: Daring Don't

Season 4 S4 Daring Dont Rainbow Dash Daring Do

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

Considering the map montage I kidna doubt it's really that close, also Twilight comments that the author lives in a "remote area"

You mean like how Dash kept such a level head when meeting Yearing and then Daring Do in the fur?

While I agree my personal theory is a bit dark and cruel (Celestia keeping the M6's exploits a secret, and the official view is that She and/or Luna saved the day in those ocasions we've seen, either to maintain the view that She and Luna are the most powerful ponies in equestria or to specifically keep the M6 from getting big heads --- which for at least one of them would be quite easy...) There's just too much contradiction to say 99% of equestria regards celebreties as everyday ponies.

A remote area that can be reached on hoof appearently within a day? How remote can it really be if you can reach it traveling through the wild without hiking gear or tents of anything?

Maybe RD is the exception rather then the rule. Maybe it's not usual for ponies to freak out like that over celebrities.

How do the openly accessible stain glass windows despicting the mane 6 fit into that?

#22 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

I think your right that it's simply a major plot-hole that cant be logically explained away just for the sake of keeping the characters relatable... which imo is one of the few major shortcommings of the show...

They have made the correct choice though.  The best episodes are the simple slice of life episodes taking place in ponyville.  For the sake of realism, they could ruin one of the strongest parts of the series by having everyone treat them like heroes.  The mistake is not in showing it inaccurately, but in having episodes that put them in the hero of the state role in the first place.  

#23 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

A remote area that can be reached on hoof appearently within a day? How remote can it really be if you can reach it traveling through the wild without hiking gear or tents of anything?

Maybe RD is the exception rather then the rule. Maybe it's not usual for ponies to freak out like that over celebrities.

How do the openly accessible stain glass windows despicting the mane 6 fit into that?

To be fair we dont know how long they traveled since it was Montaged, they might have spent the night in several hotels along the way and the house jsut be that close to the last hotel, not to mention there are trains that go *Everywhere* so it's possible that they spent a long time on the train. (Though I cant dissagree with your logic of them needing saddlebags for any particularily long distance... of course we could check the map and see if there are any other landmarks like canterlot and then make a rough scale...)

As wesh said, look at "Green is not your color" with how the ponies reacted to Flutters when she was a famous model. If publicized, I'd think saving the world woudl get at LEAST as much coverage as a new model would...

Who says they're openly accessible? They seem to be in a 'vault' area since they were visible (and important to the plot) in 201 when celestia went to retrieve the EoH, which were sealed away at the end of the hallway, which I'd assume is a high-security area given the EoH were there.

They have made the correct choice though.  The best episodes are the simple slice of life episodes taking place in ponyville.  For the sake of realism, they could ruin one of the strongest parts of the series by having everyone treat them like heroes.  The mistake is not in showing it inaccurately, but in having episodes that put them in the hero of the state role in the first place.  

I think they could play with it a little, similar to how things went down with MMDW, but that would get old and if used much would water-down the episode. (Think about the buildup and letdown in IAT when Twilight was avoiding the guards and was cornered... and they just said "Oh hey, Twilight, let me open the door for you, have a nice night!" except FAR more annoying.) An episode where the M6 are famous and get mob'd by fans everywhere they go would be hilarious --- but it would only be so for 1 episode, or 2 if it was a two-parter. However, I'd think at the least some of their lesser exploits coudl be used, like the aformentioned BYF/Gala incident with Dash, or perhaps a throw-away gag like the M6 trying to get a hotel room and none are left untill flutters 'eeps' and the attendant recognizes her as 'my favorite model ever!' and pulls some strings. Little stuff that makes it feel less contrived...

#24 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

To be fair we dont know how long they traveled since it was Montaged, they might have spent the night in several hotels along the way and the house jsut be that close to the last hotel, not to mention there are trains that go *Everywhere* so it's possible that they spent a long time on the train. (Though I cant dissagree with your logic of them needing saddlebags for any particularily long distance... of course we could check the map and see if there are any other landmarks like canterlot and then make a rough scale...)

As wesh said, look at "Green is not your color" with how the ponies reacted to Flutters when she was a famous model. If publicized, I'd think saving the world woudl get at LEAST as much coverage as a new model would...

Who says they're openly accessible? They seem to be in a 'vault' area since they were visible (and important to the plot) in 201 when celestia went to retrieve the EoH, which were sealed away at the end of the hallway, which I'd assume is a high-security area given the EoH were there.

See, but you can't just put real world standards as a measure for hero worship in Equestria. Fashion and modeling might very well have a far higher standing in the public opinion then world saving business.

And we know that the hallway with the stain glass window is open to the public every now and then, since they held an award ceremony there in episode 202, with plenty of Ponyville ponies attending.

#25 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

An episode where the M6 are famous and get mob'd by fans everywhere they go would be hilarious --- but it would only be so for 1 episode, or 2 if it was a two-parter. However, I'd think at the least some of their lesser exploits coudl be used, like the aformentioned BYF/Gala incident with Dash, or perhaps a throw-away gag like the M6 trying to get a hotel room and none are left untill flutters 'eeps' and the attendant recognizes her as 'my favorite model ever!' and pulls some strings. Little stuff that makes it feel less contrived...

One funny episode would not be worth the damage it would do to the show.  How would they justify them suddenly NOT being famous for the rest of them?  

One funny incident would be worth a laugh, but it would also make it harder to relate to them.  

#26 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

See, but you can't just put real world standards as a measure for hero worship in Equestria. Fashion and modeling might very well have a far higher standing in the public opinion then world saving business.

And we know that the hallway with the stain glass window is open to the public every now and then, since they held an award ceremony there in episode 202, with plenty of Ponyville ponies attending.

That is downright comical... technically you may be right, but it seems rediculous...

Nope, the 202 ending was not in the same hall:

640px-Victory_ceremony_background_ponies

http://mlp.wikia.com...onies_S2E02.png

One funny episode would not be worth the damage it would do to the show.  How would they justify them suddenly NOT being famous for the rest of them?  

One funny incident would be worth a laugh, but it would also make it harder to relate to them.  

Like I said, just a callback here or there would be good, like I said with the hotel and the attendant (nopony else) recognizing Flutters or something. I am agreeing on the overall show benefiting from this "lack of fame", but it kinda annoys me that such major plots were basically forgotten except for a few rare instances.

#27 Eclipse

Eclipse

Canterlot High Society

• 523 posts
  • LocationThe Dirty South

Donator

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Honestly, who would know that the mane 6 were heroes without one of the princesses telling them? Who saw what happened to NMM? Who saw what happened to Discord? Who saw what happened to Chrysalis? Who saw the mane 6 release Discord? No one but the crystal ponies, the mane six and the princesses even know about Sombra... With their heroics usually ending world threatening mega catastrophes it's probably for the best that no one knows.

Otherwise, think about it. The only fictional "heroes" that are known for real are the ones that go around the world making a bit deal about it and shooting laser out of their eyes and crap like superman. The Mane 6's heroics are pretty all pretty isolated incidents where no one outside of a select few know anything. Actually, how many times were they publicly awarded for something? Once I think. And even then it was a bunch of ponyville ponies so they probably wouldn't make a big fuss about it or treat them much differently. 

#28 Davroth

Davroth

Despot

• Administrator
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGermanland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

That is downright comical... technically you may be right, but it seems rediculous...

Nope, the 202 ending was not in the same hall:

640px-Victory_ceremony_background_ponies

http://mlp.wikia.com...onies_S2E02.png

I accept your apology.

Also, I argue it's supposed to be the same hallway, and they were just too lazy to do the windows again, considering part of the ceremony was unveiling this:

http://mlp.wikia.com...window_S2E2.png

http://mlp.wikia.com...heroes_S2E2.png

And even if it wasn't, it was still a huge award ceremony open to lots of ponyville denizens. Therefore, I'd argue, they know.

#29 Rainbow_Dash

Rainbow_Dash

Resident Rainbow Dash

• Roleplayer
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I accept your apology.

Also, I argue it's supposed to be the same hallway, and they were just too lazy to do the windows again, considering part of the ceremony was unveiling this:

http://mlp.wikia.com...window_S2E2.png

http://mlp.wikia.com...heroes_S2E2.png

And even if it wasn't, it was still a huge award ceremony open to lots of ponyville denizens. Therefore, I'd argue, they know.

Eh, I dont know, continuity is BIG with the team, so I'm thinking it's a different hallway (note also in 313, MMC, they made SURE to show that the hallway is NOT the one with the windows, which adds a lot of suspicion about that place.... 

You do have a point about the ponyville citizens being there, unless we go off the deep end and say celestial cast an amnesia spell on them as they left (which I could argue, is well within her power) then it does seem they would remember --- which makes it strange that they wouldn't and treat some of them very poorly in fact (such as how the two mares are blocking the bridge in PYHD --- though to this day I dont see why flutters didnt just fly over them, I mean that's kidna 75% or more of a pegasus's shtick - flying, but that's another rant) I'd really, really, really like to think there's a legitimate reason for this, but without diving into conspiracy theories like celestia keeping things quiet and forcing everypony to secrecy, it really doesnt make sence at all from an in-universe standpoint...

#30 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

It was a pretty strong implication! It shows an award for daring do, a picture of twi's mom wearing said award, all over a writing desk. Its all but stating it!

Actually I feel it s more a case of fans misinterpreting what was shown, as I have suggested elsewhere could the Daring Doo award simply be a writing award? Perhaps for authors of adventure books.

#31 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Actually I feel it s more a case of fans misinterpreting wgat was shown, as I have suggested elsewhere could the Daring Doo award simply be a writing award? Perhaps for authors of adventure books.

Heh, like the "Red Rocks" award?
The gorgeous Red Rocks venue was voted best small venue so many years in a row, that they renamed the award to "Red Rocks" and banned Red Rocks from ever getting it again so that other lesser venues would have a chance!

She could have won the "Daring Do" award for excellent writing?

Yeah, I don't buy that.  

Maybe it fits, but it assumes an awful lot.  It seems silly to "hide" this in the background and hint at her being a specific writer than to just show that she got awards for writing....Unless the goal was to taunt us and purposefully lead us off track?

#32 EquestrianScholar

EquestrianScholar

A Gentlepony and a Scholar

• Co-Administrator
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Donator

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

((Hmm, seems you quoted me before I fixed wgat to what.))
Shrugs, to me its most reasonable explanation to take if you want to keep the comics and the TV series in line with each other.

Really you can't deny it's open for interpretation, it was just a fun background bit caught by the fans. Sure most fans jumped at the assumption that it was saying Twilight Velvet was the author of the series but really it's just an award with 'Daring Doo' on it.

There are far greater inconsistencies and possible continuity issues in the TV series itself. For example, in my eyes, how Discord is shown in Return of Harmony Parts 1 and 2 to what was shown in Keep Calm and Futter On...

#33 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

There are tons of other ways that she could have the plaque up. It could have been for a ghost-writing, maybe a competition to see who could write the best Daring Do spin off, perhaps Twi and A,K are in charge of different aspects of the same series? (Like a young and old). There are tons of explanations.

I must add MLP canon is some of the most inconsistent and confusing canons out there. Contradictions has and will be made in the future. As much as I love the writing, alot of the time it would conflict canon and/or character development for a quick laugh, pandering, or to push a story along. *cough*Mccarthy*cough*

The best we could do is work around when this happens, and make our own connections. They may not sound or be convenient, but they'll work.

#34 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Oooh, someone's bringin' this back from the grave!

#35 Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost

Equestrian

• Roleplayer
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCamp Flog Gnaw

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Oooh, someone's bringin' this back from the grave!

I thought that last post was recent XD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Season 4, S4, Daring Dont, Rainbow Dash, Daring Do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users