Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums, and join our Roleplays or upload your own art to the gallery or just chat with our members.
We are looking forward to get to know you!

Photo

S4-E08 Discussion: Rarity Takes Manehattan

Season 4 S4 Rarity Takes Manehattan Rarity Manehattan

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fawkes

Fawkes

Draconequus

• 65 posts
  • LocationThe Top of the Tallest Tower

Donator

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

a3fb356b-4ae8-4f33-9bb6-d61a869ba5d9_zps

In yet another grand attempt to break into the glamorous, cut-throat, posh, violent industry of high fashion, Miss Rarity packs up her needles and threads and sets out for the fashion capital of Equestria: Manehattan! However, the glamorous mare of generosity quickly learns just how rare her element of harmony is in the big city, and just what ends ponies are willing to go to simply to get ahead.  

Episode 4 discussion is open, ponies! The episode premieres on The Hub at 10:30am EST, today, January 4th! Anypony who might not happen to /have/ The Hub can still catch all the colorful, pony goodness by checkin' out one of the livestreams listed on Equestria Daily!

As always, spoilers are welcome and to be expected!

#2 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Carrot-dogs, Grumpy Cat cutie mark, scumbag copy-cat/mentor, good music in my opinion.....

Another thing about friendship!

Don't take advantage of your friendship for selfish intentions.

In short, I loved it the most among all of the Season 4's episodes so far.

#3 LostSanity

LostSanity

Oatmeal, are you LostSanity?!

• Roleplayer
  • 386 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'm not really sure what to say about this one.

EVERYTHING about this episode was just AMAZING.

Another GREAT episode!!

:D

#4 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Lots of wonderful things about the episode, not the least of which was the rejections of some predictable tropes they could have used.

I love the "we understand when you have a bad moment, we know how you really are thing".  It was genuine and a surprise.  

It was interesting to examine generosity as a spectrum, from extravagant to devious.  There wasn't any idealization of generosity.  It was a straight look at what it really means, and how you should protect yourself.  

It was also an eye-candy episode full of great sights, and "star" power.  I'm always happy to see more Sapphire Shores.

#5 SunBurn

SunBurn

Momlestia Lover

• 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hah, finally, a bit of reality in this episode. Yeah, generosity is something that can be taken advantage of. 

Another thing that got me is at the end, Rarity winning the contest was treated like it was something very important as she knows that her friends and her friendships are more important.

#6 ShadowWalking18

ShadowWalking18

Pony

• Roleplayer
  • 169 posts
  • LocationUSA, PA*For now*

Donator

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Rarity mental breakdown? A+!!!!

Rarity looking good wih a wet mane? A!

Wanted to slap the antagonist mare? Yes!

Episode grade? A!!!

#7 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Rarity mental breakdown? A+!!!!

Rarity looking good wih a wet mane? A!

Episode grade? A!!!

--"+"

#8 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

She was a pretty realistic villain.  Things like powerful manticores and chaotic chimeras are not specifically applicable to my life (anymore).

But I know people like her!  Who only care about themselves, and are shameless in their abuse of trust, etc.  This is my favorite episode thus far.

#9 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

She was a pretty realistic villain.  Things like powerful manticores and chaotic chimeras are not specifically applicable to my life (anymore).

But I know people like her!  Who only care about themselves, and are shameless in their abuse of trust, etc.  This is my favorite episode thus far.

That's why this is my most favorite episode of Season 4 so far.

#10 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

Holy schnikes.
Was Suri Polomare's remark about remembering Rarity a lie?
On a second viewing, Rarity looks like she is only pretending to remember Suri.
It seems that Suri was manufacturing the story to pull her trick....

#11 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Holy schnikes.
Was Suri Polomare's remark about remembering Rarity a lie?
On a second viewing, Rarity looks like she is only pretending to remember Suri.
It seems that Suri was manufacturing the story to pull her trick....

Possibly.

It could also be that they didn't really come to contact with each other a lot.

I'm willing to bet Rarity was a prodigy among her sewing class that made Suri a little jelly about it, however Rarity did not take notice of that.

#12 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Possibly.

It could also be that they didn't really come to contact with each other a lot.

I'm willing to bet Rarity was a prodigy among her sewing class that made Suri a little jelly about it, however Rarity did not take notice of that.

Well, there is a HUGE difference between the two.
in one, Suri is exploiting an existing relationship, and in the second, the entire relationship is based on a lie.  

#13 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, there is a HUGE difference between the two.
in one, Suri is exploiting an existing relationship, and in the second, the entire relationship is based on a lie.  

People(Or Ponies) can change.

I, for one, don't really care much for Suri's existence.

Because she's just there for viewers to know that she's just a pathetic excuse of a dress-designer.

#14 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

People(Or Ponies) can change.

Because she's just there for viewers to know that she's just a pathetic excuse of a dress-designer.

She seemed realistic though, and she was clearly talented as a designer.  It takes more than a fancy fabric and a glance at some outfits to be able to produce killer designs overnight.  Remember that Coco never saw Rarity's dresses, so Suri still had to communicate all the designs Coco created.  

Her purpose was to showcase terrible ethics, rather than bad dressmaking.  And Suri was a great foil to Rarity's generosity precisely because we have all dealt with such people.  

#15 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

She seemed realistic though, and she was clearly talented as a designer.  It takes more than a fancy fabric and a glance at some outfits to be able to produce killer designs overnight.  Remember that Coco never saw Rarity's dresses, so Suri still had to communicate all the designs Coco created.  

Her purpose was to showcase terrible ethics, rather than bad dressmaking.  And Suri was a great foil to Rarity's generosity precisely because we have all dealt with such people.  

As a dress-designer, you should have good ethics and dress making... that's what I'm trying to say.

Otherwise, you're just cheating your way into winning awards like this.

Suri may have good dress-making skills, but Suri's a terrible pony that copied Rarity's dresses by using Coco's talent in dress making.

A pathetic excuse for a dress-designer, because of copying another original design, period.

#16 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

As a dress-designer, you should have good ethics and dress making... that's what I'm trying to say.

Ha!  Fair enough!

It was believable that Suri's talent plus her weasel behavior got her into this competition, and she may even have been a front runner without stealing Rarity's work.  

And to re-quote now that I understand you:

Her character was still pretty interesting.  She was a real-life, cut-throat antagonist with a silver tongue.  She also drove the story in the appropriate direction.  Without her, Rarity would not have melted down in front of her friends, and it would have had to have been a completely different story.  Perhaps You'd have preferred a lower-stress episode without such an unethical character?  They could have done that well, but I don't mind the episode we got at all.  

#17 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Ha!  Fair enough!

It was believable that Suri's talent plus her weasel behavior got her into this competition, and she may even have been a front runner without stealing Rarity's work.  

And it should be fair enough, because why should YOU have a weaselly behavior in contests? Be sportsmanlike among the unsportsmanlike.

Of course, you know that! I'm just saying having good ethics as a dress-designer will make you a better person than Suri, even if you don't win.

Her winning? I doubt that.

I mean, come on. We're taking about Rarity losing this dress-making contest. I give my wholesome pride to Rarity's work! Even if she's not real. <-- joke, and if you highlighted this, you have sharp eyes!

Perhaps You'd have preferred a lower-stress episode without such an unethical character?  They could have done that well, but I don't mind the episode we got at all.  

I do not agree that she shouldn't have been in this episode...

Allow me to rephrase what I said about her existence, I tend to say it the wrong way although in my mind I mean it another way, usually.

I don't care how she met Rarity in the past, she could've been honest or deceitful about it. For that, we may never know, unless they made an episode about how they've met, which would be very unnecessary.

Or on the other point, how she greeted Rarity by saying her name first before even introducing herself.

Sounds self-controversial, but I still don't care.

I can only remember her saying Rarity's name first before she talked about their acquaintance from their filly days or something.

This debate has to stop. Can we just go with "This episode is great, no argument here!"?

Dear God Almighty, even if we both know that this episode was great, we just wanna debate or even argue about Suri lying about their relationship!

WHY DID WE DO THIS, WEESH, WHY!?!? xD

#18 weesh

weesh

Green Rat Bunny Thing

• 533 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize you were frustrated.

I'd not have continued if I'd thought you weren't enjoying it.  My favorite parts of this discussion were your assertion that ethics are part of being a dress designer, which I now agree with, and the white text.

#19 Noedig

Noedig

Pony

• 102 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize you were frustrated.

I'd not have continued if I'd thought you weren't enjoying it.  My favorite parts of this discussion were your assertion that ethics are part of being a dress designer, which I now agree with, and the white text.

I was only a little frustrated.....

But, it's okay.

I barely thought you would have really liked to delve into such interesting matters.

Actually, if I look back, it does seem enjoyable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Season 4, S4, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Rarity, Manehattan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users